Interdisciplinary Studies (IDIS)
About the Majors and Minors
Interdisciplinary Studies houses many popular majors and minors that open the boundaries of traditional academic areas by combining courses from different departments to create unique areas of studies for students based on their interests and career plans. IDIS majors earn either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree by choosing one of several tracks/concentrations: Africana Studies, American Studies, Anthropology, Ethnic and Intercultural Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and Individually Designed. Students can also minor in six global Area Studies to focus on those parts of the world: African, East Asian, European, Latin American, Middle Eastern, and South Asian. Students who want to tackle big ideas across multiple disciplines can minor in Meta-minors: Africana Studies, Cognitive Science, Health Humanities, Religious Studies, Ethnic and Global Literature, and Law, Justice and Advocacy. IDIS helps students make important connections between courses, disciplines, and career fields.
Benefits of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Highly motivated, interested students invested in what they study
- Learning a variety of professional areas and career skills
- Making connections between ideas and innovations
- Enhancing skills in communication, leadership, creativity, and critical thinking
- Professional development and life-long learning
- SU is the top public school in Maryland for job placement
Learn more about Interdisciplinary Studies.
Interdisciplinary Studies Potential Career Areas
- Entrepreneur or Business Owner
- Innovation Design or Marketing
- Education, Training, or Consulting
- Non-profit Organizations
- Government Agencies or Legal Fields
- Management or Leadership
- Human Resources
Interdisciplinary Studies Tracks/Concentrations
The IDIS major is ideal for students who want an education and career that combine multiple disciplines, not offered by traditional majors. Students select one of several tracks/concentrations: Africana Studies, American Studies, Anthropology, Ethnic and Intercultural Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and Individually Designed.
Interdisciplinary Studies Experiential Learning
- Center for International Education
- Changing Climate/Changing World
- Clarke Honors College
- Global Experiences
- Nationally Competitive Fellowships
- Nonprofit Leadership Alliance
- Public Affairs and Civic Engagement
- The Washington Center
Interdisciplinary Studies Courses
Internship Application Interdisciplinary Studies Program IDIS 490
The IDIS internship is designed to be multi-disciplinary and flexible. Our goal is to help you set your goals and measure your progress across the bridge. An internship should help you prepare for your future, broaden your horizons, and stretch your limits.