Welcome to Geography and Geosciences
The Department of Geography and Geosciences offers you top-notch educational opportunities. Our coursework prepares you for advanced degree work or post-graduate employment in geography, geographic information science (GIS), earth and atmospheric sciences, and urban and regional planning.
As a student-centered department, the faculty concentrates on high-quality teaching and advising and active engagement in undergraduate research while maintaining an open-door policy.
Facilitating hands-on learning, many students work with the department’s outreach organization, the Eastern Shore Regional GIS Cooperative.
Meet the Geography and Geosciences Department faculty and staff.
Our Academic Programs
The departmental program emphasizes geographic concepts, techniques, skills and their application to the solution of environmental, land-use and public planning problems. In addition to our undergraduate program, we offer a graduate M.S. in GIS Management, which was ranked the No. 1 online master’s GIS program nationally.
Learn more about the programs offered by our department:
You Have Questions – We Have Answers
Our prospective majors usually have the following questions, so we’ve taken the time to answer them for you.
- What is geography?
- What is earth science?
- What is urban and regional planning?
- What is the course of study in the geography major?
- What can you do with a B.S. in geography?
- What is the course of study in the earth science major?
- What can you do with a B.S. in earth science?
- Can I earn a dual major in geography and earth science?
- What is the course of study in the urban and regional planning major?
- What can you do with a B.S. in urban and regional planning?
Student and Alumni Resources
- 1 BestCollege Reviews.com National Ranking
- 3 Dedicated Department Scholarships
- 4 Degree Programs