Geographic Information Science Minor
Get ready to chart your course. Emphasizing the “where,” geographers study the character of places by examining the interactions between the economic, cultural and physical environment of a place. Studying geography is one of the best ways to understand your world and to become a better global citizen. At Salisbury University, our geographic information sciences minor is designed for students whose emphasis is on mapping sciences.
Why Choose Geographic Information Science at SU?
One key feature of our coursework in the Department of Geography and Geosciences is SU’s commitment to experiential studies. Many of the core and elective courses in the program include hands-on lab activities and class field trips.
The interdisciplinary minor in geographic information science requires the completion of at least 21 credit hours, of which 17 are not counted for General Education and at least 12 hours are earned at Salisbury University. All courses applicable to the minor must be completed with a C or better. Geography majors are not eligible to earn a minor in geographic information science. Instead they may complete the geographic information science track within their major.
Students in this minor must complete the following 16 credit hours of coursework:
- COSC 117 Programming Fundamentals
- COSC 118 Introductory Scientific Programming with Visual Basic
- COSC 120 Computer Science I
- GEOG 219 Map Interpretation and Analysis
- GEOG 319 Geographic Information Science
- GEOG 419 Advanced Geographic Information Science
Students must also complete two of the following courses:
- ART 227 Computer Graphic Design
- COSC 220 Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
- COSC 482 Computer Graphics
- GEOG 320 Cartographic Visualization
- GEOG 321 Remote Sensing of the Environment
- GEOG 435 GIS Programming
- INFO 211 Information Systems Concepts for Management
- INFO 386 Database Management Systems
For a more in-depth study, SU also offers a geography major with a geographic information science track.