Salisbury University students on campus

Requesting Academic Accommodations

The purpose of registering with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) is to ensure equal access to opportunities for success in your college experience at SU by making sure that reasonable accommodations are determined and implemented appropriately. Requesting accommodations through our office ensures that you will be able to access your courses, textbooks, and assignments so that you have the same opportunity to succeed as any other student.

While students can register with the DRC at any time, incoming first-year and transfer students are encouraged to register the semester prior to their first semester at SU. Please be aware that accommodations are not retroactive. Students scheduling appointments at the beginning of the Fall or Spring semesters(s) can anticipate increased wait times for initial intake appointments.

Who do we serve?

The DRC provides accommodations, modifications, and services to students with documented disabilities enrolled in Salisbury University’s undergraduate, graduate, or regional programs. Such disabilities include but are not limited to, learning, physical/mobility, vision, hearing, chronic health, and mental health diagnoses. The DRC also works with students with some temporary impairments, as appropriate.

NOTE: This application is ONLY for requests for Academic Accommodation(s). A separate application is required for Housing Accommodations.

How to Register/Request Academic Accommodations

NOTE: This process is for new students who would like to request accommodations and services. Students who are already registered with the DRC do not need to complete another application. Please contact the DRC to schedule an appointment with a member of our staff to discuss your needs/additional accommodations.

  1. Apply through the general admission process, be accepted, and commit to Salisbury University by submitting your deposit.
  2. Complete and submit the online Disability Resource Center Student Application
  3. Submit documentation of a disability. Students are strongly encouraged to upload their disability documentation while completing their DRC Student Application. Providers may also complete the DRC Medical Documentation Form (in lieu of a letter), if desired. To learn more about the information about DRC Documentation Criteria.
  4. A DRC staff member will contact you via email to schedule your Initial Intake Appointment. Please be aware that this is a REQUIRED appointment, as the information obtained is an essential component in the determination of reasonable accommodations and services.

DRC Disability Documentation Criteria

We will collaboratively review and consider all documentation submitted on a case-by-case basis. Documentation of disability will assist the Disability Resource Center (DRC) in understanding the impact of the student’s disability and/or temporary condition in the collegiate academic setting. Documentation submitted should be prepared by a qualified professional. A qualified professional is defined as an individual who is licensed or is a formally recognized expert in the medical, psychological, and/or educational field with the authority to make diagnoses and/or recommendations in their specific field of practice.

There are multiple ways to provide documentation of your disability. Documentation should provide proof of diagnosis and/or prior accommodations. The DRC follows the guidance from the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) on documentation review and accommodation approval. Some examples of documentation of disability include:

  • IEP/504 plan
  • Medical records/patient portal diagnostic summary
  • Letter from a healthcare professional, on letterhead, which confirms a diagnosis.
  • DRC Medical Documentation Form (Must be completed by a qualified professional.)
  • Accommodation letter from previous postsecondary institution(s)
  • Full evaluation/diagnostic report (e.g. Achievement Testing: Psychoeducational, Assmt of Information Processing: (Bender-Gestalt Perceptual-Motor Test)

If you have any questions about your documentation, please contact the DRC as soon as possible.

NOTE: This application is ONLY for requests for Academic Accommodation(s). A separate application is required for Housing Accommodations.

Interactive Process & Initial Intake Appointment

Through an interactive process, DRC staff meet with each student individually for an initial intake appointment to review/discuss request(s) for accommodations/services, strengths, challenges, and the likely impact of your disability on your educational experiences at Salisbury University (SU). The information you provide is an essential component in the determination of reasonable accommodations and services.

Initial Intake Appointment

In order to receive accommodations and services, you must meet with the DRC for an initial intake appointment. The initial intake is a 60-minute interactive dialogue with DRC staff to discuss your request for accommodations/services, and to provide an overview of the services available to you through the DRC and other campus partners. The goal of the initial intake is to gather the information necessary to ensure equal access through the determination of reasonable accommodations and services.