Salisbury University students on campus

For Parents/Families

Welcome parents, families, and friends!

As parents and families of a student with a disability, you may be concerned about your student’s transition to SU and their access to accommodations/services. The DRC is here to help students with the shift from high school to college! When students enter college, they become their own self-advocates and take charge of their own educational experience, including reaching out for support and accommodations, as needed. Parent and family roles shift as well. You will no longer be directing the process, but rather will serve as a guide in supporting your student in their self-advocacy.

The Disability Resource Center (DRC), is located on the 2nd floor of the Guerrieri Student Union, Room 229, and serves more than 700 undergraduate and graduate students with various disabilities and some temporary impairments who are registered with our office. These include but are not limited to students with learning disabilities, ADHD, mental health disabilities, autism spectrum disorder, brain injuries, physical and mobility disabilities, medical conditions, blind/low vision, deaf/hard of hearing, and speech/language disabilities.

How to Register with the DRC

While students can register with the DRC at any time, incoming first-year and transfer students are encouraged to register the semester prior to their first semester at SU. Students will be eligible to register with the DRC once they have “fully committed” to the University (deposit paid). * Please be aware students scheduling appointments at the beginning of the Fall or Spring semesters(s) can anticipate increased wait times for initial intake appointments.

For more information on How to Register

Documentation Criteria

We will collaboratively review and consider all documentation submitted on a case-by-case basis. Documentation of disability will assist the Disability Resource Center (DRC) in understanding the impact of the student’s disability and/or temporary condition in the collegiate academic setting. Documentation submitted should be prepared by a qualified professional. A qualified professional is defined as an individual who is licensed or is a formally recognized expert in the medical, psychological, and/or educational field with the authority to make diagnoses and/or recommendations in their specific field of practice.

There are multiple ways to provide documentation of your disability. Documentation should provide proof of diagnosis and/or prior accommodations. The DRC follows the guidance from the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) on documentation review and accommodation approval. Some examples of documentation of disability include:

  • IEP/504 plan
  • Medical records/patient portal diagnostic summary
  • Letter from a healthcare professional, on letterhead, which confirms a diagnosis.
  • DRC Medical Documentation Form (Must be completed by a qualified professional.)
  • Accommodation letter from previous postsecondary institution(s)
  • Full evaluation/diagnostic report (e.g. Achievement Testing: Psychoeducational, Assessment of Information Processing: (Bender-Gestalt Perceptual-Motor Test)

If you have any questions about your documentation, please contact the DRC as soon as possible.

For additional Student Resources, please visit the DRC-Registered Students Tab.

Links & Resources

For additional Student Resources, please visit the DRC Student Resources Tab