Salisbury University’s highest purpose is to empower our students with the knowledge, skills, and core values that contribute to active citizenship, gainful employment and life-long learning. To support this mission, Salisbury University is committed to the quality design of online, remote, and hybrid courses based on Quality Matters (QM), a research-based rubric and course review system for measuring the quality of online course design. The core philosophy of QM is continuous improvement based on collegial and constructive feedback.
This site outlines several options SU faculty and staff have for integrating QM into their existing course development and quality assurance processes.
What is Quality Matters?
Quality Matters (QM) is a non-profit organization that provides tools, resources, and a research-based rubric to help institutions measure the quality of their online, remote, and hybrid course design. Originating from a FIPSE grant in Maryland, QM offers institutional subscriptions and a range of fee-based services, including QM-managed course reviews and a variety of professional development opportunities. The spirit of QM is collegial, continuous improvement through peer review.
Salisbury University, a subscriber of Quality Matters, developed an implementation plan in 2017 for professional development and course reviews. All SU faculty and staff can access QM resources and use the rubric to measure the quality of courses they create or support.
QM Rubric and Standards
The Sixth Edition of the QM Higher Education Rubric contains 42 specific standards that are known measures of quality course design in eight general standard categories.
- Course Overview and Introduction
- Learning Objectives (Competencies)
- Assessment and Measurement
- Instructional Materials
- Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Course Technology
- Learner Support
- Accessibility and Usability
To assist with course design, ID&D has developed an SU QM Checklist and an SU Online and Hybrid MyClasses course template that meets 11 of the QM Specific Review Standards. For more information, see the Online and Hybrid Course Design Resources article in ID&D’s knowledge base (SU login required).
Faculty can request for their online, remote, or hybrid course to be peer-reviewed using the QM rubric. Salisbury University offers three types of reviews:
- ID&D Course Review- An ID&D or Academic Instructional Designer will review the course based on the QM rubric and setup a consultation with the faculty or course developer.
- Internal QM Review- Internal quality assurance review for courses/departments interested in a preliminary review prior to an official QM review or those not interested in official QM reviews.
- Official QM Review- Official QM review comprised of a QM certified peer-review team (subject matter expert, internal and external reviewer).
Use the form below to request a course review: