Salisbury University students on campus

Employment Options

In order to maintain valid F-1 status, a student must not work in the United States, unless the employment is specifically authorized under the regulations:

  • On-campus employment
  • Graduate assistantships
  • Practical Training
  • Severe Economic Hardship
  • Employment with an International Organization

On-Campus Employment

International students are eligible to work on-campus up to 20 hours a week while school is in session, and full time during all breaks. For on-campus employment opportunities, please visit Career Services located in the Guerrieri Student Union, Second floor, or online on the Career Services website.

  • Initial entry students cannot begin work more than 30 days before classes start.

  • Initial entry students cannot begin work more than 30 days before classes start
  • In the case of a transfer in SEVIS, the student may only engage in on-campus employment at the school with jurisdiction over the student's SEVIS record.
  • A student may not engage in on-campus employment during the 60-day grace period following the completion of a course of study or thereafter, except in the following situations.
    • Employment authorized for OPT
    • Employment between academic levels at the same school
    • Can be in any on-campus position that does not displace a U.S. worker; does not have to be related to course
    • Employment is "incident to status," and does not require DSO or DHS approval
    • Employment must not displace a U.S. resident

Graduate Assistantships

A student enrolled in a Master's program is normally required to carry 9 semester hours. If you have been awarded a graduate assistantship, you may reduce your course load to 6 semester hours.

For graduate assistantship opportunities please inquire within your academic department, visit the Career Services office in Guerrieri Student Union, Second floor, or view online at the Graduate Assistantships.