Salisbury University students on campus

Employment with an International Organization

This F-1 employment benefit allows F-1 students to work for recognized international organizations within the meaning of the International Organization Immunities Act [59 Stat. 669].

Student is eligible for this employment as soon he or she is in F-1 status; no 9-month waiting period. It is only available while student is in F-1 status, before completion of the educational objective. It is granted by USCIS in increments of no more than one year, or until expected date of employment completion, whichever is shorter. This employment can be approved as part or full-time. Although it does not have to be related to course of study, international organizations usually hire students for positions in their field of study. Applicants must have a written offer of employment from a qualifying international organization.


  • Check or money order for $380, made payable to the Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and immigration Service. If someone else writes the check, make sure your name is somewhere on the check.

  • Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization; in item 16 indicate the appropriate code from below:

    -    (c)(3)(i)    F-1 Optional Practical Training

    -    (c)93)(ii)   F-1 Off-campus employment with a qualifying international organization (organizations must be recognized by the International Organization Immunities Act

    -    (c)(3)(iii)    F-1 Off-campus employment due to economic hardship

  • "Certification of Completion Studies", signed by your academic advisor

  • Form I-538, Section A (for internal use only

  • Photocopies of all previously issues I-20s, from all institutions attended

  • Photocopies, font and back, of any previously issued EAD cards

  • Photocopy, front and back, of your I-94 card

  • Photocopy of the identification pages from your passport (including name, date of birth, place of birth, photo, issue and expiration dates, visa stamp)

  • Two full-frontal color photographs, which must be less than 30 days old when the application is filled. Lightly print your name and A# (if known) on the back of each photo with a pencil. Place the photos in an envelope or plastic bag so they are not lost, but do not staple them. For more information on photo specifications, please call the US CIS National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283

  • All forms are available at the SU Center for International Education, all US CIS forms are available at SUCIE