Salisbury University students on campus

State Teacher Certification Information

How to Apply for the Maryland Teacher's Certificate

Graduating with an education degree does not automatically create your teaching or administrator's certificate in Maryland. You must apply for certification. If you are offered a job before you have applied for certification, your new school district will often apply for your certificate on your behalf. But if a job offer isn’t on the table or you plan to leave Maryland, you should apply for your certificate right after graduation.

Preparing Your Packet

You should send a complete packet of information to the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).  Your application packet should include:

  1. Cover letter including your name, address, social security number, telephone number and the subject area(s) for which you want certification.  If you have completed student teaching, give dates, subjects and grade levels taught.  Keep it brief.
  2. Sealed transcripts reflecting your degree(s).  You must also submit any transfer credit transcript(s) and any post-baccalaureate course work. PHOTOCOPIES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. Student copies of transcripts are acceptable if submitted in an unopened mailer from the Registrar’s Office. You should send your transcripts as part of your application packet.  Do not have them sent directly by the University.
  3. Copies PRAXIS test scores, including specialty area tests.  Scores may be submitted in one of the following ways:
    • Designate MSDE as ETS recipient R7403 when registering for each test
    • Submit your original score report

Do not send your only copy of your scores.  If you need an additional score report, contact ETS.

Sending Your Packet

Complete packets should be sent to:

Maryland State Department of Education
Division of Certification & Accreditation
200 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

After reviewing your credentials, MSDE will send you an application, which you must complete and return.

For More Information:
Call the Certification Assistance Line
Maryland State Department of Education


The State of Maryland, not SU, grants teacher and administrator certification.  All questions beyond the curriculum should be directed to MSDE.

If You're Leaving Maryland

Apply for Maryland certification to take advantage of inter-state reciprocity.
A complete list of states that recognize Maryland certification is available here.

If you have questions about your home state’s requirements, contact your home State’s Department of Education.

Sample Letter Requesting Certification

Revise [bracketed] areas to meet your specific needs


Your Name
Your Address

Maryland State Department of Education
Division of Certification & Accreditation
200 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to receive an evaluation for Maryland Teacher Certification.  I am seeking certification in the area of [your certification area(s)].  My student teaching [internship] in [subject area] was completed [date] in grades [Y-Z] at [school name] in [City, State].

Enclosed with this letter are official transcripts [and copies of my NTE scores].  [My NTE/PRAXIS scores have been submitted previously to MSDE by Educational Testing Service.]

I appreciate your consideration.


Your Name
Your Social Security Number
Your Telephone Number