Did you know that Spanish is no longer a foreign language in the United States? Not only is it the second most spoken language in the country, but it is also the second country in the world with the most Spanish-speakers. With fluency in Spanish language, you will be able to talk to people from all over the world and better understand how others think, and you will also be more competitive on the job market. That’s right, a rising number of employers prefer individuals who can speak Spanish fluently. So, get on it, pronto, and start your language studies today.
Why Choose a Spanish Major at Salisbury University?
At SU, our language programs have been colorfully designed to include literature, history, cultural studies and applied linguistics. Critical thinking infuses everything we do, from language learning to understanding poetry to study abroad.
Our program is distinctive because we have:
- Talented and dedicated faculty. Our professors come to Salisbury from some of the best institutions in the nation for graduate study in literature, culture and pedagogy. Many of your professors will speak three or four languages. Your classes will be taught by expert educators who are active in their respective professions.
- Small classes with the latest technology. Class sizes in our department never exceed 20 students, allowing individual students more one-on-one time with their professors. Our dedicated language classrooms are also equipped with the latest technology available, so students get the most out of their class time.
- Study abroad requirements. We require our Spanish majors to participate in a study abroad experience. We believe that an extended stay in another country is the best way to attain cultural and linguistic proficiency for the language. You may take advantage of our department abroad programs in Argentina, Ecuador and Spain.
- Multicultural events. SU students can enjoy the Oktoberfest celebration each fall and the Cinco de Mayo festival each spring. Film festivals, language clubs, guest lectures, art exhibits and University-sponsored theme dinners all create a stimulating learning community.
- Academic honors. Our top students are invited to become members of national honor societies such as Sigma Delta Pi, as well as present their work at the National Conference for Undergraduate Research.
Spanish Major Tracks
At SU, students may complete the Spanish major in one of two tracks.
Careers for Spanish Majors
What jobs can you get majoring in Spanish? A background in foreign language gives you an edge in any job setting, from law and politics to social work and communications. Learning a second language opens many doors, but for the adventurous at heart, the following careers may appeal to you:
- Cultural events coordinator
- FBI agent
- Foreign diplomat missionary
- Foreign service officer
- Immigration officer
- International account manager
- International banking officer
- International business
- International relations consultant
- Nonprofit work
- Study abroad coordinator/advisor
- Tour guide/travel agent
Spanish Major Faculty with Real-World Experience
Our faculty strives to further the University’s goal of preparing students to succeed in an increasingly interdependent world.