Mathematics is a powerful tool with many applications in everyday life. Just look around. Some of humanity’s proudest achievements all rely on the use of numbers. The planes flying over your head, the availability of complex medical care and even the computer or smartphone you are using now were only made possible by the work of mathematicians. It’s not calculus: Salisbury University has the formula to put you on the path to your degree in mathematics today.
Why Choose Mathematics at SU?
Mathematics majors begin their study with a core of courses that introduce the beauty and utility of mathematics in four areas: pure mathematics, applied mathematics, computer science and statistics. They routinely work in partnership with faculty and other students to develop as professionals and to acquire skills necessary to succeed in a variety of future endeavors.
Your education is sure to add up at SU thanks to some features special to our program:
- A flexible major. Students can explore the various facets of mathematics in the core before committing to a concentration in their upper-level work. Students can design an individualized program which prepares them for graduate school or careers in business, government or industry. Students also sometimes combine the mathematics major with a second major in another field such as geography, computer science, music or business. The major is flexible enough to accommodate these options without increasing the time to obtain your degree.
- State-of-the-art facilities. Our mathematics and computer science students have access to the latest technology. Our department has three computer laboratories available for instruction and research, as well as teaching labs running with different operating systems.
- Internships and study abroad opportunities. We sponsor a number of internships each year where students get first-hand experience in a business, industry or government setting. The department also offers a Cyber Security Study Abroad Program in Estonia, home to NATO’s Cyber Defense Center.
- Research honors. SU hosts an annual Student Research Conference where research results are presented to faculty and peers. We also send students to the National Conference on Undergraduate Research, which SU has twice hosted. Many mathematics students choose to engage in projects with faculty, some of which have led to student or student/faculty publications in journals and presentations at professional meetings. Notable student accomplishments include a first-place award for original student research at the spring meeting of the MD/DC/VA Section of the Mathematical Association of America, an award from Pi Mu Epsilon for outstanding student paper presentation at Math Fest, and two students who were chosen from a national pool of science and mathematics students to present at the Council on Undergraduate Research Poster Session on Capitol Hill.
SU will prepare you for the most prestigious careers in mathematics. Graduating students from our program have gone on to work at top-notch positions with the Census Bureau, National Security Agency, NASA, IRS and Labor Bureau, as well as many industries. Others have earned Ph.D.s in statistics or biostatistics.
At SU, students may complete the mathematics major in one of six tracks.
Our mathematics program gives you all the tools to work in a variety of professional settings. Graduate programs such as medicine, law and business value mathematics majors because of their problem-solving skills. A sign of brilliance, your mathematics background with SU could prepare you for exciting careers such as:
- Aerospace Engineer
- Database Administrator
- Operations Research Analyst
- Planetary Scientist
- Software Tester
Faculty with Real-World Experience
Our faculty works cooperatively with students both in and outside the classroom to ensure their educational growth and lifelong success.