DACA & Dream Act

DACA - Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status.

You may request DACA if you:

  1. Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
  2. Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  3. Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  4. Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
  5. Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
  6. Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  7. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

More information on the program can be found on the USCIS website.

DACA recipients who reside in Maryland are eligible to apply for the in-state tuition rate.  Students are encouraged to submit the form via GullNet.  Reminders are posted to the “To Do” list when students are matriculated.

University System of Maryland Nonresident Tuition Differential Exemption

For Eligible Maryland High School Graduates

As authorized under Annotated Education Code of Maryland § 15-­‐106.8


Any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, within the meaning of 8 U.S.C. § 1101(A)(15), who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying the nonresident tuition differential at all public colleges and universities in Maryland.


  1. Attended a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland for at least 3 academic years not earlier than the 2005-2006 school year;
  2. Graduated from a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland or received the equivalent of a high school diploma from the State not earlier than the 2007-2008 school year;
  3. Attended a community college in Maryland not earlier than the 2010 fall semester and met the requirements for the nonresident tuition exemption at the community college;
  4. Was awarded an associate’s degree by or achieved 60 credits at a community college in Maryland;
  5. If applicable, provides the institution with a copy of the affidavit submitted to the community college regarding the filing of an application to become a permanent resident within 30 days after the individual becomes eligible to do so;
  6. Provides to the institution documentation that the individual or the individual’s parent or legal guardian has filed a Maryland income tax return: for at least three years while the individual attended a high school in Maryland
  1. annually while the individual attended a community college in Maryland;
  2. annually during the period, if any, between graduation from or achieving 60 credits at a Maryland community college and registration at a Maryland public senior higher education institution; and
  3. annually during the period of attendance at the Maryland public senior higher education institution; and,
  1. Registers at a Maryland public senior higher education institution in the state not later than 4 years after graduating from or achieving 60 credits at a Maryland community
  2. If applicable, has registered with the Selective Service

Procedures for Requesting this Exemption from Nonresident Tuition

Your institution has established deadlines for submission of exemption requests; however, requests are not to be submitted until you have been admitted to a USM institution. Once you are determined to be eligible for the exemption, you will continue to receive it as long as you fulfill the eligibility requirements or until the University no longer offers this exemption. The exemption covers the Nonresident Tuition Fee and the Educational Fee differential charged to nonresident students. Applying for the exemption does not alter your responsibility to pay by the campus deadline any nonresident tuition and associated fees that may be due before your eligibility is determined. If you are granted the exemption, any differential will be refunded.

Complete the exemption request prior to the first billing date of the term you wish the request to be considered. Requests, with all required documentation, should be submitted to:

Heather Saxmann
Salisbury University HH-206
P.O. Box 2195
Salisbury, MD 21802-2195

**Students that hold DACA status should not apply for Maryland’s Dream Act.  Students should complete the Maryland Residency form in GullNet to request to be considered eligible for in-state tuition rates.