Per Diem Meal Rates
Conference/Meeting Agendas are required for all expense accounts when requesting reimbursements for meals. All meals provided by the conference/meeting will not be reimbursed on expense accounts unless a valid explanation as to why the meal provided was not consumed. This explanation must accompany the expense account form.
Effective September 1, 2019
Effective September 1, 2019, current standard per diem meal rates without receipts:
Meal Cost Percentage Breakfast $13.00 24% Lunch 15.00 26% Dinner 28.00 50% Total $56.00 100%
High cost per diem meal rates with detailed receipts:
Meal Cost Percentage Breakfast $14.00 24% Lunch 16.00 26% Dinner 30.00 50% Total $60.00 100%
Any representative of this university, on travel status, should not request reimbursement for any amount(s) not spent. Nor should any employee ask for reimbursement of a meal (s) not consumed or for any meal included with a registration fee. As noted above, conference/meeting agendas or travel itineraries must be submitted when requesting any meal reimbursements.
Foreign travel is reimbursed at actual cost with original receipts or at the applicable U.S. Department of State Meal and Incidental (M&IE) rate without receipts. The USM Board of Regents will review these rates biennially.
Please note: A partial day’s travel is eligible for the appropriate meal (s) consumed when travel time encompasses a period of two hours before and/or two hours after one’s normal work day. Under no circumstance will lunch be reimbursed on a one day trip unless the employee is traveling two hours before and 2 hours after one's normal work day. An employee would need to work a minimum of 12 hours plus a lunch period of at least 30 minutes to be eligible for lunch reimbursement. For example and assuming an hour lunch break and a normal 8am-5pm work day, an employee must start the travel by 6am and return at 7pm. These departure / arrival times must be clearly indicated on any expense account presented.
Institutional funds may not be used for the purchase of alcoholic beverages or additional flight insurance.
Domestic High Cost Metropolitan Areas
To determine per diem reimbursement for high cost metropolitan areas, please use the link below. Include a printed copy of the rates with your expense form.
Foreign travel is reimbursed at the applicable U.S. Department of State Meal and Incidental (M&IE) rate without receipts. The USM Board of Regents will review these rates biennially.
Foreign meal reimbursements use the same travel time requirements as domestic travel. To complete the expense account use the U. S. Department of State Meal and Incidental schedule:
- Click on the U.S. Department of State Meal and Incidental (M&IE)
- In the Country box, click dropdown menu and select; hit “Go”.
- Locate the appropriate city in the chart
- Find the M & IE Rate for the city visited and print a copy for the expense account
- Go to this link and find the same M & IE amount on the chart and print a copy for the expense account. This will give the per diem amounts for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (Enter the individual breakfast, lunch and dinner amounts for each day.)*
- The Incidental amount will be reimbursed with original receipts up to the Incidental rate on the FTR Appendix breakdown amount
- Any city not listed, use the per diem for “Other”.
- Reimbursement rates are based on the rates in effect at the time of travel.
*Any representative of this university, on travel status, should not request reimbursement for any amount(s) not spent. Nor should any employee ask for reimbursement of a meal(s) not consumed or for any meal included with a registration fee.