Philip E. & Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation Shore Hatchery
The Shore Hatchery Competition is an bi-annual event to reward individuals for their entrepreneurial efforts in the creation and growth of businesses with the potential of positively impacting regional employment. Read more below.
Shore Hatchery 2019 Important Dates
- Shore Hatchery - Open to Mid Atlantic Business Start Ups
- Registration Open: Monday, February 25, 2019 11:59pm
- Registration Close: Monday, April 8, 2019 11:59pm
- Competition Day: Friday, May 3 – All Day
Fall 2018 Ratcliffe Shore Hatchery Competition
Alyssa Dittmar and Aaron Hsu, the two lead members of the Baltimore company ClearMask, were the top winners of the 11th round of Salisbury University’s Philip E. and Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation Shore Hatchery entrepreneurship competition, taking home $30,000.
ClearMask has developed a full-face transparent surgical mask designed for “making healthcare more human for patients” and reducing miscommunication, a large factor in medical errors.
The fall 2018 Ratcliffe Shore Hatchery competition drew 13 entrants throughout the mid-Atlantic and awarded $92,000 in prize money. Other winners included:
- Femly - $27,000: a monthly delivery service of customized feminine care products in Upper Marlboro, MD.
- Plum Dragon Herbs, Inc. – $25,000: high quality, herbal, health products including natural, topical analgesics, from Chester, MD.
- AlgenAir - $10,000: a biotech company with algal installations, such as a desktop machine that will scrub carbon dioxide from a room and produce oxygen, while growing nutritional algal, from Baltimore City.
The four winning businesses were women-owned, and two were minority-owned. These entrepreneurs joined 49 winners from the first five years of the program who created 226 jobs, with an estimated revenue of $16 million, as of 2018.
In addition to funding, winners and participants also receive mentoring support from the program’s board.