Salisbury University students on campus

Campus Security Authorities

Although Salisbury University students, faculty, staff and visitors are encouraged to make prompt and accurate reports to University Police if they are a victim of or witness to a crime, reports may also be reported to a “campus security authority (CSA).” The Clery Act mandates that institutions must disclose statistics for crimes reported to campus security authorities. The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel as campus security authorities is to acknowledge that many individuals are hesitant about reporting crimes to the police, but may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus-affiliated individuals.

Who is a Campus Security Authority?

The Clery Act regulations identify a campus security authority as:

  • A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution.
  • Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department (e.g., an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property).
  • Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.

Campus professional and pastoral counselors, when acting as such, are exempt from reporting requirements in order to protect the counselor-client relationship. As a matter of policy they are encouraged, if and when they deem it appropriate, to inform persons being counseled of the procedures to report crimes on a voluntary basis for inclusion into the annual crime statistics.

  • Pastoral counselor: A person who is associated with a religious order or denomination, is recognized by that religious order or denomination as someone who provides confidential counseling, and is functioning within the scope of that recognition as a pastoral counselor.
  • Professional counselor: A person whose official responsibilities include providing mental health counseling to members of the institution’s community and who is functioning within the scope of the counselor’s license or certification.

The Handbook for Campus Safety and Reporting, 2016 Edition

Reporting an Incident

The function of a campus security authority is to report any crime or emergency. A crime is considered reportable when it is brought to your attention by a victim, witness, other third party or even an offender. If the information is provided in “good faith” (not rumor or hearsay), please report the incident.

  1. Get the facts - when, what, where, who, etc.
  2. You do not need to investigate the crime or incident reported to you.
  3. Describe the incident/crime as completely and accurately as you can
  4. Inform victims of their options, including confidential reporting and offer referrals to resources (e.g., campus assistance programs or counseling service, if appropriate)
  5. If you are unsure whether the crime is reportable under the Clery Act, report the incident. University Police will make the determination of whether the crime must be reported under Clery Act Regulations.
  6. Print and complete the CSA Incident Reporting Form below and send it immediately to University Police by fax (410-543-6221) or email to

Campus Security Authorities Training

Campus security authorities receive annual notification about crime reporting requirements and training. CSAs may complete the training by accessing the web link below.