SU Class Sessions at the MakerLab
The SU Libraries MakerLab hosts many SU classes every semester to introduce the students to our space, teach them about the various technology we offer, and help make sure they have a solid foundation to begin working on their projects.
If you are an SU faculty member that would like to bring their class to the MakerLab, please reach out to us. We will be happy to arrange a session for your class designed around the needs of your students and their projects.
Class visits are typically conducted in one of the following formats:
- A short introduction to the MakerLab and the technologies we offer. This session is usually for courses that would like to make sure the students are aware of the technologies available to them for their projects, but are not requiring the use of any MakerLab technology. (Typical Duration: 10-20 minutes)
- A lecture on one or more of the technologies we offer. These sessions can be held in the MakerLab itself for classes with up to 20 students, or in your own classroom or in a library classroom for larger class sizes. Because of the limited amount of hardware available, we are usually unable to provide much hands-on time with the technology. However, we will be able to show students the technology in action and allow them to see the results of what it can produce. (Typical Duration: 50-90 minutes)
- For classes looking for a hands-on activity, we offer a session on 3D printing and 3D modeling. We introduce students to the concept of 3D printing and the results it can produce, and then build a 3D object together using web-based 3D modeling tools. Depending on the amount of time available, we might then turn the students loose to build objects of their own design while having MakerLab staff present to answer questions. (Typical Duration: 90 minutes - 3 hours)
If none of the above sessions fit what you're looking for, don't hesitate to contact us and let us know what you need. We regularly design custom activities for individual classes based on their needs.
Requesting a Session
To request an instruction session or group visit, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To streamline the process, please be sure to provide as much of the following information as possible:
- Course name and number
- Number of students in the class
- Date and time of the session, with multiple options if possible
- Type of activity desired (from the list above or something else)
- The learning objectives for the session
We request that you provide at least 2 weeks notice when requesting a class session. Because classes are often held during the MakerLab's open hours, we need this time to prepare to close the MakerLab during your class visit.