Art History Minor
Turn your passion into a profession at Salisbury University. In our art history program, you will grow as an artist, but you will also be able to think, talk and write about what you do and how it relates to the world around you. Our faculty will work with you to chart a creative career path full of promise, so you can have the job you’ve always dreamed of.
Why Choose Art at SU?
At SU, we give lots of personal attention to developing your creative skills and vision. We are unique from other art programs across the country in that you will find:
- One-on-one interaction with faculty. Studio classes are small, so students are able to work closely with faculty mentors. With the guidance of our professional faculty, our students have an outstanding record of acceptance into jobs and graduate programs.
- Exceptional facilities. Our Integrated Media Center features a full HD television production studio and a professional audio recording studio, along with a fully equipped digital photography, Macintosh studio and printing lab. We also boast the only on-campus hot glass shop in the state.
- An enhanced curriculum. We organize exhibitions of video, animation, sound art and other new, electronic media on campus. The Art Department also takes trips to Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City so students can visit museums and galleries.
- Visiting professionals. We host several professional artists every semester, including graphic designer and poster artist John Foster and Mark Amerika, a leader in Remix Culture.
The art history minor offers the opportunity to engage the history of art through a variety of courses spanning a range of time periods and geographic locations. At least four courses of the work applied toward the minor must consist of courses that are not used to satisfy general education requirements and at least three of these courses must be earned at SU. Grades of C or better are required in all courses applicable to the minor. Art majors interested in the art history minor must complete four courses outside of the art minor requirements.
The minor in art history has the following requirements:
- Complete the ART 201 Introduction to Art History course.
- Complete four additional courses from the following:
- ART 300 History of Modern Art to 1945
- ART 301 Northern Renaissance Art
- ART 302 History of American Art: The Colonial Period to 1900
- ART 303 History of American Art: The 20th Century
- ART 305 Art Since 1945
- ART 306 History of Greek and Roman Art
- ART 310 History of Italian Renaissance Art
- ART 311 History of Pre-Columbian Art
- ART 335 Women in Art
- ART 336 History of Graphic Design
- ART 391 Special Topics in Art History
- ART 399 International Field Study
For a more in-depth experience, SU also offers an art history track with the Bachelor of Arts option for the art major.