Secondary Teaching Licensure Major
Teachers do more than just educate – they change lives. As a teacher, you play an active role in the lives of those you instruct, as both a mentor and a friend. If you’ve ever dreamed of making a difference in other people’s lives, a secondary education major may be the right fit for you.
Teacher education candidates in a secondary education program complete a rigorous program of study in the academic major and professional education courses. Secondary education programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and approved by the Maryland State Department of Education for secondary school teacher certification (Grades 7-12). If you already have an undergraduate degree, you may want to check out our M.A.T program.
The Secondary and Physical Education Department offers both undergraduate and graduate programs that lead to secondary education certification in a number of liberal arts and science disciplines, including:
Pre-K-12 Certification Programs
If you want to pursue programs offering Pre-K-12 certification you must:
- declare *major in the content area with a declared track in Pre-K-12 education
- pass the Praxis Core Test by January of your sophomore year or by the time 45 credits are completed
- fulfill Admission Requirements for the Professional Teacher Education Program (PTEP)
- submit an application to the PTEP
- take, pass and report Praxis II prior to graduation
Visit the Secondary and Physical Education Department for details.