Doctor of Education in Literacy Studies
Salisbury University’s online Doctor of Education in Literacy Studies offers a dynamic learning community that explores communicative practices in the 21st century. Because literacy is integral to all learning, students from diverse disciplines find relevance in the program. The curriculum is built on a strong core of theory, research and practice to advance the field of literacy and promote culturally responsive, effective practices for learners of all backgrounds. As leaders of their classrooms, institutions and communities, graduates of SU’s Ed.D. program are creating change that matters.
Why Choose a Doctor of Education at Salisbury University?
SU offers an Ed.D. program that is nationally recognized and provides the individualized attention you need to achieve success in your field, no matter what your goals. At SU, we embrace your unique journey. The course framework builds the foundation of your study, but you decide the area of focus. Experienced faculty guide and mentor your research, but you choose the destination. Research completed by program graduates includes such diverse topics as the composing practices of multiracial college students, after school writing clubs in elementary contexts, disciplinary literacy in medical lab science, historical storytelling in museums, and the reading lives of secondary English teachers.
Some key strengths of our program include:
- A supportive and diverse community. SU’s Ed.D. program is designed as a cohort model – so even though you are taking courses online, you are connected with a community of peers to keep you engaged and help you grow as a professional. Our students come from diverse settings and build strong relationships with each other as they work collaboratively throughout their doctoral journey.
- Dedicated faculty and individualized mentorship. Our faculty are known as outstanding teachers and engaged researchers. They provide extensive advising, working with students to prepare them for success in their chosen career paths. Even in an online setting, you will receive the individualized attention you need to achieve your goals.
- Rich opportunities for experiential learning. Our students gain real-world experience by joining research partnerships with experienced faculty in diverse educational contexts. They also have the opportunity to gain teaching experience in higher education in SU’s graduate and undergraduate programs.
- A distinguished program. Our Ed.D. program is a proud member of the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate, a national consortium of institutions that works together to ensure the Ed.D. is a rigorous and relevant degree that prepares educators to be agents of change. What this means for our students is they learn and grow in a program that is involved at a national level, while they receive attention to their local professional context.
What can I do with an Ed.D. in Literacy?
A doctorate in education prepares students for careers both in and outside of academia. Ed.D. graduates advance their careers in higher education, prek-12 education, and community contexts. Students work with their advisor to ensure a focus throughout their learning that aligns with their career goals.
- Literacy Coach
- Instructional Designer
- PreK-12 Educational Consultant
- Non-Profit Director
- Literacy Policy Analyst
- Student Support Center Director
- Program Administrator
- Faculty Development Coordinator
- Educational Researcher
Faculty with Scholarly Expertise and Applied Professional Experience
With a strong history of involvement in public education from PreK-college, our faculty understand the multiple challenges facing today’s educators They are national leaders in literacy learning and research. In addition to publishing innovative research and presenting at national conferences, they also serve as journal editors and editorial board members. Most importantly, they are focused on serving their students by providing rich educational opportunities.
Our application process includes a holistic review of all your application materials. We admit students once a year for the fall cohort. SU’s Ed.D. program is now accepting applications for the fall semester. Apply now
Financing Graduate Education
Please see the following financial aid resources available for doctoral study in our program.