First Year Students
Your Success Starts Here!
Welcome to Salisbury! Our beautiful campus offers you the ideal environment to build your foundation for long term success and the Career Services team is here to help guide you.
While some of you will enter the world of work after graduation, some of you will go directly to graduate or professional school and some of you will take a “gap year" or “service year.”
Career Services is a part of your student success team that will help you experience all that this great university and great college town has to offer.
It is never “too soon” to start
The world’s most successful people will tell you it all starts with a plan and a vision for your future. Our site is designed to bring you the best guidance to make this journey less stressful. As a first year student we have devised a simple check list based on the latest research from leading organizations like Gallup and NACE.
Here are 7 simple things you can do right now to build the foundation for success:
- Establish relationships with your Academic Advisor and Career Coach. A simple introductory meeting to discuss your current goals that will take less than 30 minutes. Still deciding on a major? No problem, we have specialized resources ready to help you.
- Start taking some on-line career related assessments, review these career one-sheets and then meet with a career coach to discuss the results.
- Come up with a plan to make sure you graduate with the must have skills and key experiences for a successful life after Salisbury.
- Explore what you can do with various majors and utilize occupational overviews. Still trying to decide or not quite sure about your major? No problem, we have you covered with our specialized resources.
- Activate your Career Connections account and look for part-time employment, look for opportunities to participate in undergraduate research and volunteer opportunities related to your interests, explore fellowships and learn about how to study abroad.
- Find student organizations that are aligned with your interests.
- Participate in Career Services events and workshops and take one of our Career Classes: Loading IDIS 280...