University Sustainability Committee
Comprised of students, faculty and staff, the University Sustainability Committee works toward developing and promoting the use of environmentally sound practices campus-wide and to incorporate sustainability into the delivery of instruction. In addition, the committee helps guide the University in meeting the objectives of the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment.
Get to Know the Committee
- Eric Berkheimer, Associate Vice President of Facilities and Capital Management, Architectural and Engineering Services/Capital Projects
- Jeffrey Downes, Architectural and Engineering Services/Capital Projects
- Dan Ervin, Professor of Economics and Finance
- Erik Gaskill, Graduate Student Council Sustainability Coordinator
- Dave Gutoskey, Housing and Residence Life Director
- Amy Hasson, SU Chief of Staff
- Jessica Hennen, Student Government Association
- Crystal Kelly, Publications Office Director
- Ken Kundell, Chief Information Officer and Assistant Vice President of Information Technology
- Julia Lavarias, Student Government Association Vice President of Sustainability
- Kevin Mann, Physical Plant Director
- Shawn McEntee, Sociology Department Faculty
- Marvin Pyles, Vice President of Administration and Finance
- Gaylord Robb, Research and Instructional Librarian
- Michael Scott, Richard A. Henson School of Science and Technology Interim Dean
- Sarah Surak, Environmental Studies and Political Science Departments Faculty
- Wayne Shelton, Campus Sustainability and Environmental Safety Director
- Lisa Tossey, Environmental Studies Department Program Specialist
- Brian Waller, Environmental Health and Safety Assistant
Climate Action Plan Subcommittee
The Climate Action Plan Subcommittee created the University Climate Action Plan in 2010 and work on its ongoing assessment and revision.
Members of the Climate Action Plan Subcommittee include:
- Mike Vienna, Athletics
- Tim Jones, Energy Manager
- Libby Young, Environmental Students Assoc.
- Karen Olmstead, Faculty-Dean
- Richard England, Faculty-Fulton School
- Andy Pica, Faculty-Henson School
- Stephen Ford, Faculty-Library
- Dan Ervin, Faculty-Perdue School
- Ed Robeck, Faculty-Seidel School
- Betty Crockett, Financial Services
- Ken Kundell, Information Technology
- Colleen Kirby, Motorpool
- Joyce Falkinburg, Procurement
- Becky Rosing-Johnson, Recycling
- Jackie Eberts, Staff Senate
- Gwen Owen, Student Affairs
- Elizabeth Wright, Student Sustainability Club
- Wayne Shelton, Sustainability
- Kevin Mann, Transportation/Physical Plant
- Lora Bottinelli, Ward Museum/Outreach
Have an Environmental Topic for Consideration?
The committee’s projects in progress include developing a climate resilience plan and seeking bicycle-friendly university status. However, that doesn't mean its members are not open to other ideas, as well!
If you have a topic you would like considered, contact any committee member and ask to present at an upcoming meeting or email your suggestion to Wayne Shelton, campus sustainability and environmental safety director, and he will take it to the committee for recommendations to the appropriate department, office or group.