Salisbury University students on campus

Reportable Events

In recent years, the United States Congress has enacted many new immigration rules that you, as an F-1 student must know and take very seriously during your time at Salisbury University. The Center for International Education at SU is required to report and update several student issues within the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). The new regulations require that you request permission or inform the international student advisor regarding those events. All changes may be provided via e-mail, phone call or in person. This sheet is intended to help you, so please view the following list of reportable events, and please remember that you are responsible for following the federal guidelines.


  • Change of address: You must inform your international student advisor about any change in your living arrangements, including physical address, home country mailing address, phone numbers, e-mail or any other contact information. Those changes must be made within 10 days of taking place.
  • Change in passport and visas status: Please remember that your passport must be valid at least 6 months into the future. For exceptions, please view Passport Validity information.
  • Change in any major or minor information.
  • Change of degree level.
  • Change in financial circumstance: A change in your financial resources of 30% or more requires the issuance of a new I-20. For example, obtaining a graduate assistantship or changing the source of funds.
  • Change in dependent information.


  • Dropping below full time (Reduced Course load Authorization): Under very limited circumstances, international students may request less than full time enrollment. This must be pre-approved by the international student advisor, and noted on your I-20 before the semester starts. Full time enrollment constitutes:
    • undergraduate student: 12 credit hours
    • graduate student: 9 credit hours
    • graduate student with graduate assistantship: 6 credit hours
    • winter and summer session: enrollment is optional
  • Program extension: If you cannot complete your degree within time listed on your I-20, please apply for an extension, using “Program Extension Request”.
  • Employment authorization: Before you accept any off-campus employment, you must receive proper authorization either from your international student advisor (Curricular Practical Training) or from Department of Homeland Security (Optional Practical Training, Economic Hardship, and Employment with an International Organization). Please stop by the Center for International Education.
  • Reinstatement: If you have fallen out of status and would like to file a reinstatement application with the Department of Homeland Security, please stop by the Center for International Education to discuss eligibility and procedures.
  • Replace lost or damaged documents: If you have lost or damaged any of your documents, please visit the Center for International Education to discuss replacement. You must also request a new I-20 if you run out of signature spaces on page 3.
  • Travel signatures: If you plan to travel abroad, please stop by the Center for International Education for signature.