Celebration of Great Composers
About the Program
The Celebration of Great Composers has become a great SU tradition that gives local piano students from elementary to high school age the opportunity to perform on the Steinway concert piano at Salisbury University, Great Hall of Holloway Hall. Founded by music faculty member Luba Paskova in 2006, the series originated as a way to celebrate the 250th anniversary of Mozart’s birth. The concert series is a great opportunity to bring young pianists to SU’s Concert Hall and gives them the unforgettable experience of public performance. In addition to learning about a variety of composers, students also gain experience in understanding concert etiquette and audience participation. This series serves as a fundraiser for Salisbury University Performing Arts Fund. The annual event is open to the public, a donation of $5.00 is recommended at the door.
American Composers: Classical Meets Jazz was a great success!
Renowned concertizing pianist & composer Jeffrey Chappell spent an April 2018 weekend at Salisbury University, culminating in his performance as a featured composer and special guest performer for "Celebration of the Great Composers: Classical Meets Jazz." Students at all levels - beginner to advanced - demonstrated great dedication and seriousness. It is a joy to see how these children grow in maturity, self-confidence and talent each year. Many of these students have achieved RCCP certification. Mr. Chappell had a thoughtful, comprehensive approach as many students performed his works in recital. Two students impressed us by playing their own compositions and arrangements, after which, Mr. Chappell graciously gave them individual private feedback. Before he performed some of his own advanced compositions, Mr. Chappell gave his sage viewpoint on performance: "Every performance is just a rehearsal for the next time you perform the piece."
(Performance review written by Kara Dahl Russell)
Thanks to all who participated:
- Jeffrey Moyer, student of Timea Bodi.
- Evan Marlowe, Frankie Nanna, Brooke Ranney, students of Carole Lohmann.
- Gia Bautista, Ava Bautista, Rosy Gao, Hannah Hoang, Gary Hoehler, Marvin Li, Grace Pettitt, Emily Righter, Sara Sadjadi, Morgan Schoch, Riley Schoch, Christy Sun, Erin Welch, Katerina Yiannouris, students of Luba Paskova.
- Elizabeth Lonsdale, Emma Skweres, students of Sharon Lonsdale.
- Robbie Ogburn, student of Ryan Ogburn.
- Ted Donahue, Siddharth Ghosh, Gourav Korada, Isabell Long, Aarna Lulla, Krisha Lulla, Ryder Myrick, Wyatt Myrick, Alana Troxell, Chloe Walker, Megan Waller, students of Susan Upton.
- 2006: Mozart at 250
- 2007: Immortal Spirit of Beethoven
- 2009: Bach - The Dynasty and Legacy
- 2010: Schumann Meets Chopin
- 2011: Lisztomania
- 2012: Pyotr Iliych Tchaikosvsky – Poetry & Passion
- 2013: Verdi, Wagner: A Day at the Opera
- 2014: Viva Sonata!
- 2015: MUSIQUE FRANÇAISE
- 2016: Mozart at 260
- 2017: Women Composers: Genius is Gender Blind
- 2018: American Composers: Classical Meets Jazz