Salisbury University students on campus

Maryland Teaching Certification

Seeking Verification for Another State

Alumni needing a verification form completed for a state other than Maryland should send the form to the Seidel School Certification Officer, Dr. Starlin Weaver. Complete all applicant sections of the verification form. Please include a phone number and email address in case there are questions. Verification forms are typically returned via postal mail or email within 5 business days.

Dr. Starlin Weaver
Seidel School of Education

Current Students and Recent Graduates:
How to Apply for the Maryland Teacher's or Administrator's Certificate

Graduating with an education degree does not automatically create your teaching or administrator's certificate in Maryland.  You must apply for certification from the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).

If you are offered a job before you have applied for certification, your new school district will often apply for your certificate on your behalf.

But if a job offer isn’t on the table or you plan to leave Maryland, you should apply for your certificate right after graduation.  Having your Maryland certificate in hand will make getting certified out of state much, much easier.

Applying to the State of Maryland

  1. Visit
  2. Be prepared to provide official transcripts from all institutions attended.  You can request your SU transcript on the Registrar's transcripts page.
  3. MSDE also needs to receive scores for required PRAXIS testing (or ACTFL for foreign language educators).  If you designated MSDE as a PRAXIS score recipient, they will have your scores.  Not sure?  MSDE will be listed as a score recipient on your PRAXIS score report.  Foreign language educators should include copies of their OPI and WPT tests with their MSDE application.  If you did not send MSDE your PRAXIS scores report and you can't find your copy, you can get another copy here:
  4. Veterans and spouses of veterans can apply for expedited certification here

Still have questions?

Call the Certification Assistance Line


The State of Maryland, not SU, grants teacher and administrator certification.  All questions beyond the curriculum should be directed to MSDE.

If You’re Leaving Maryland

Apply for Maryland certification to take advantage of inter-state reciprocity. 
A complete list of states that recognize Maryland certification is available at

If you have questions about your home state’s requirements, contact your home State’s Department of Education.