SAP What & Why
SAP® is the market leader in enterprise application software – enterprise resource planning software, data analytics, cloud based solutions, database integration, and mobility management. SAP® software supports organizations of all sizes and industries by developing innovations that help customers run at their best. “From back office to boardroom, warehouse to storefront, on premise to cloud, desktop to mobile device – SAP® empowers people and organizations to work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively to stay ahead of competitors.” (SAP® Fact Sheet, April 2015).
SAP AG is headquartered in Waldorf Germany. The company was founded in 1972 by individuals that recognized the importance of organizations having a single set of data for processing transactions. Although SAP® offers a number of different enterprise application software packages now, the original product was an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. This is still the backbone of SAP software. Salisbury University is fortunate to be just a few hours from the SAP® America headquarters in Newtown PA.
Why is SAP important?
- SAP® is used by over 290,000 customers in 190 countries - Companies That Use SAP®
- SAP® customers include 80% of the Fortune 500 companies, 87% of the Forbes Global 2000 companies, and 98% of the 100 most valued brands
- SAP®’s customers produce 78% of the world’s food and 82% of the world’s medical devices
- 74% of the world’s transaction revenue touches an SAP® system
- 40,000 jobs referencing SAP® listed on Indeed.com
In addition to these more “global” reasons, students that have completed the SAP ERP course work and/or the TERP10 certification have found employment at desirable organizations such as:
- Department of Navy
- Northrup Grumman
- Office of Legislative Audits
- SAP Americas
- Whiting-Turner Contracting Company