- Salisbury University, EdD, Doctor of Education - Contemporary Curriculum Theory and Instruction: Literacy, 2019
- University of Maryland, Baltimore, MS, Biomedical Research from the Department of Medical and Research Technology, 2006
- Salisbury University, BS, Medical Technology, 2001
My research interests are diverse. My Master's research examined nurse shark immunology, specifically the phagocytic capabilities of their white blood cells.
My doctoral dissertation research examined the disciplinary literacy practices of Medical Laboratory Science and the professional identity of medical laboratory professionals.
I believe that actually doing something - performing a particular laboratory test, for example - helps to reinforce what is learned in lecture. Personally, I learn best by doing! I find my students do, too!
Camillo, Christina G. (2019) Defining Disciplinary Literacy Practices and Evaluating the Professional Identity of Medical Laboratory Science. pp. 310. ProQuest Dissertations Publishing.
BIOL 115 Safety in the Biological, Chemical and Clinical Laboratory (Fall 2020)HLSC 201 Medical Terminology (Fall 2020)MDTC 101 Safety in the Biological, Chemical and Clinical Laboratory (Fall 2020)MDTC 411 Clinical Microbiology II (Fall 2020)MDTC 431 Introduction to Transfusion Services (Fall 2020)
- Awards/HonorsMember, Sigma Upsilon ChapterPresented by National Lambda Tau Society for Medical Laboratory Science
Member, Rho Eta ChapterPresented by Kappa Delta Pi (International Honor Society in Education)
SU Libraries Information Literacy Partner of the Month AwardPresented by SU Libraries
- Professional MembershipsAmerican Society of Clinical PathologistsThe American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) is the world’s largest professional membership organization for pathologists and laboratory professionals. Our mission is to provide excellence in education, certification and advocacy on behalf of patients, pathologists and laboratory professionals across the globe. With more than 100,000 members, the society’s influence has guided the application and evolution of the pathology and laboratory medicine specialty since 1922. (From https://www.ascp.org/content/about-ascp)
The American Society for Clinical Laboratory ScienceThe mission of ASCLS is to make a positive impact in health care through leadership that will assure excellence in the practice of laboratory medicine.
Quality laboratory service is essential to quality health care.
Competent, credentialed, laboratory professionals are the foundation to quality laboratory medicine.
Everyone deserves access to safe, effective, efficient, equitable, and patient-centered healthcare, and
Advancing the laboratory profession advances health care.
Ensuring safe, accurate, efficient, appropriate and cost effective laboratory services is a component of quality
Defining the characteristics of competent personnel within the profession and providing professional development opportunities so that practitioners can maintain competency are essential roles of a professional association
Enabling laboratory professionals to function at their highest level of competence will contribute to cost effective health care
Promoting diversity supports the delivery of quality laboratory service
Taking a leadership role in standard and policy setting is a core professional responsibility
Advocating for quality within the laboratory is essential to the assurance of quality health care delivery
American Association of Blood BanksMission
AABB advances the practice and standards of transfusion medicine and cellular therapies to optimize patient and donor care and safety.
AABB will be the pre-eminent knowledge-based organization focused on improving health through advancing the science and practice of transfusion medicine and cellular therapies.
AABB will fulfill its mission and vision through adherence to its core values:
the pursuit of excellence
focus on the patient and donor
- Licensures and CertificationsMedical Laboratory Scientist (MLS), American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP)
Certification Maintenance (CM), American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Certification Maintenance Program
- Presentations“You Have to Start with the Basics”: Emerging Disciplinary Literacy and Pre-Professional Identities in Medical Laboratory Science StudentsNovember, 30 2017Literacy Research for Expanding Meaningfulness, Tampa, FLThis study examined students’ perceptions and interactions with each other and their instructor during an upper division, professional course in a Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) program to determine what engagement with disciplinary literacy reveals about the students’ emerging identities as pre-professional Medical Laboratory Scientists.
Massive Transfusions and Related Plasma ManagementFebruary, 14 2015ASCLS Maryland/Delaware Winter Meeting, University of Delaware, Newark, DEASCLS Maryland/Delaware Winter Meeting; University of Delaware, Newark, DE; February 14, 2015; Massive Transfusions and Related Plasma Management; Credit Hours 1.0
Organize your Curiosity: How to Write in ScienceSeptember, 14 2016Thirty Sixth Annual Association of Zoo Veterinary Technicians (AZVT) Conference, Tulsa, OklahomaThis workshop will cover the various parts of a scientific research paper: from choosing a good title, to writing an abstract, to proper citation of references and resources. There will be examples and activities related to writing in science and some of the more specific aspects of the writing requirements for AZVT.
- Service Activities and Community Relations
Editor-in-Chief and Program Co-Chair for the Association of Veterinary Technicians' (AZVT) annual conference program since 2007. I organize, review, coordinate, and edit submitted abstracts and papers that will be presented at the annual conference. In 2011, I also took on the role of AZVT's Program Administrator for the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE) to help the organization obtain RACE-approved Continuing Education (CE) credits that are beneficial to veterinary technicians that require this type of CE to maintain their license.
I have reviewed both poster submissions for the Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (CLEC) and textbook chapters for an upcoming edition of a transfusion textbook.
- External Collaboration Highlights
I am a 'standby' employee in the Transfusion Services area of the laboratory at Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury, Maryland. I maintain that position, so I can keep up with the current trends in the profession. I learn so much from those who are working on a day-to-day basis.