Physical Education Major
A teacher’s impact extends far beyond the classroom setting. As a teacher, you can impact your students in a positive way every day. If you’ve ever dreamed of making a difference or helping others achieve their goals, a physical education major at Salisbury University is a step in the right direction.
Why Choose Physical Education at SU?
An education at SU is a straight track to your career goals. After meeting program admissions requirements, you can earn a bachelor’s degree program leading to K-12 teacher certification in physical education. A flexible major, the program also includes four minors to further develop your career:
- Athletic Coaching
- Exercise Science
- Outdoor Education Leadership
But there’s more to our program than that. You’ll find your fit at SU with our quality education, which includes:
- Programs that are nationally accredited. At SU, our program is accredited and approved by the Maryland State Department of Education. It is guided by SHAPE National initial teacher standards, which help prospective teachers develop essential knowledge, skills and dispositions.
- Award-winning partnerships. SU has strong relationships with several local schools that serve as professional development school partners who host SU students for clinical experiences. SU’s partnerships have won awards from the National Association of Professional Development Schools.
- Connections to real-world experiences. At SU, we believe in hands-on opportunities to prepare you for the real world. Living Learning Communities are available in which students complete coursework together onsite at a local school. The capstone experience for each program is a 100-day internship teaching in a local school.
Teachers are constantly in demand across the country. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, by 2025, an estimated 316,000 new teachers will be needed per year, and teacher demand is projected to increase 14 percent from 2010 to 2021. Our physical education major goes beyond the elementary school gym, however. In addition to coaching, you could become one of the following:
- Activities Director
- Dance Instructor
- Occupational Therapist
- Outdoor Education Instructor
- Physical Education Teacher
- Recreation Therapist
- Sports Agent