Master of Arts in Teaching Admission
Students in the M.A.T. program must possess a baccalaureate degree, with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in the last half of their undergraduate program, and appropriate content coursework for certification in one of the state-approved areas. Students apply for admission to either Salisbury University or University of Maryland Eastern Shore, depending upon which university offers the appropriate Maryland State Department of Education approved content area program for teacher certification.
SU offers the following content area programs:
- Earth science
- Music (vocal and instrumental)
Application materials must be submitted no later than October 1.
Admission to the program requires applicants to complete an Application for Graduate Admission at Salisbury University – visit the Graduate Studies Office for details – and the following program-specific requirements:
- To be eligible for the M.A.T. program, applicants must have the equivalent of an undergraduate degree in one of the certification areas listed above. Coursework must have been taken within the past 10 years with a GPA of 3.0 or better to be considered.
- Maryland State Department of Education approved passing scores for Praxis Core or Maryland State Department of Education equivalent scores (SAT, GRE or ACT).
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can speak to the applicant’s ability to write at an appropriate skill level for graduate work and a level of motivation appropriate to carry the candidate through a rigorous graduate program.
- Applicants must undergo a structured interview by the joint M.A.T. Admission Committee. Applicants who have met initial admissions requirement will be scheduled during mid-October/early November for an interview with the M.A.T. Admissions Committee. Final admission decisions will be made in November.
International applicants should refer to the instructions for Application for International Students.