Emotional Wellness is developing self-awareness to the point of being in control of your emotions. Proper feeling, expression, and release are all apart of maintaining wellness in this area. Emotional wellness requires working on honesty with yourself primarily along with those around you. Emotional wellness requires non-judgement and acceptance in full of anything you may be feeling.
Emotional Wellness Is...
- being sensitive to your feelings and the feelings of others.
- keen discernment of what situations in your life require an emotional response by deciding whether or not the situation serves you in the grand scheme of things, whether it truly matters or needs much attention.
- learning to prevent and cope with stress. Take time to get to know yourself and what exactly works for you.
- being realistic about your expectations.
- taking responsibility for your own behavior.
- maintaining constant communication with your inner-self and truth; disconnect will ultimately lead to emotional havoc. Accept what you can't change and be aware of what you can.
- viewing challenges as opportunities rather than obstacles.
- functioning independently but knowing when you need to ask for help.
Tips for Improving Emotional Awareness
- Build an awareness and acceptance of your self- this relationship is the most crucial one you have.
- Realize your thoughts are everything; once you start changing your thoughts, everything else will follow suit.
- Research strategies for coping effectively in stressful situations. Never be too quick to move into a reactionary emotion. Remember to stay centered and keep a wide overview.
- Start with understanding what you love the most, whatever brings you the most light; whether it be walking outside, moving, being still...and make sure to incorporate often.