Amounts Reported on the 1098-T
Detailed Information for Amounts Reported
Students can access their GullNet account to obtain a detailed listing of all amounts billed for each academic semester.
Information Included on the 1098-T
The University is required to provide student information to the student and to the IRS related to the tax credits. We report the following information:
Social Security Number
All amounts reported on this form are reported as positive amounts. Each box is designated for certain information per IRS regulations so that all amounts, are reported positively.
- Box 1. Shows the total payments received by an eligible educational institution in the reporting tax year from any source for qualified tuition and related expenses less any reimbursements or refunds made during the calendar year that relate to those payments received during the calendar year.
- Box 2. Reserved for future use.
- Box 3. Reserved for future use.
- Box 4. Shows any adjustment made by an eligible educational institution for a prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year Form 1098-T. This amount may reduce any allowable education credit that you claimed for the prior year (may result in an increase in tax liability for the year of the refund). See “recapture” in the index to Pub. 970 to report a reduction in your education credit or tuition and fees deduction.
- Box 5. Shows the total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by the eligible educational institution. The amount of scholarships or grants for the calendar year (including those not reported by the institution) may reduce the amount of the education credit you claim for the year. TIP: You may be able to increase the combined value of an education credit and certain educational assistance (including Pell Grants) if the student includes some or all of the educational assistance in income in the year it is received. For details, see Pub. 970.
- Box 6. Shows adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year. This amount may affect the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or education credit that you claimed for the prior year. You may have to file an amended income tax return (Form 1040X) for the prior year.
- Box 7. Indicates whether the amount in box 1 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January–March of the following calendar year. See Pub. 970 for how to report these amounts.
- Box 8. Shows whether you are considered to be carrying at least one-half the normal full-time workload for your course of study at the reporting institution.
- Box 9. Indicates whether you are considered to be enrolled in a program leading to a graduate degree, graduate-level certificate, or other recognized graduate-level educational credential.
- Box 10. Shows the total amount of reimbursements or refunds of qualified tuition and related expenses made by an insurer. The amount of reimbursements or refunds for the calendar year may reduce the amount of any education credit you can claim for the year (may result in an increase in tax liability for the year of the refund).
Service Provider/Account Number: The student's GullNet student id number
Salisbury University is providing this information as a service to its students, but please keep in mind it is not an authority on taxation. Therefore, the University is not responsible for any misrepresentation of the IRS regulations. You should consult a tax advisor to determine if you qualify for the credit or for any other related questions.