Supporting Data Use in Research and Teaching: The Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research
While the SU Libraries have long supported researchers’ data management needs with the Data Management LibGuide, our support for the use of data in research and teaching has grown exponentially thanks to our library consortium, USMAI, joining the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), an acronym that rolls right off the tongue.
You can find out more about ICPSR and how to create an account at the SU Libraries ICPSR LibGuide.
Here are some resources and benefits that ICPSR offers:
- Over 250,000 files of social and behavioral science research data that are available for download and use
- 21 thematic data collections in areas such as disability, demographics, education, health, aging and criminal justice
- A place to preserve/curate data you have created and guides for data management and curation
- Support for teaching students to use data through providing datasets for assignments, class exercise modules and other resources for students
- Courses on quantitative methods, research design, statistics, data analysis and social methodology
Links to these different aspects of ICPSR are available on our ICPSR LibGuide.