Youth Innovation Academy is a youth initiative tailored to middle schoolers to enhance their competence and confidence in innovation and leadership. In a collaborative, supportive and creative environment, participants entering sixth, seventh and eighth grade explore science, technology, environment, civic engagement, communication, and arts. We invite participants to uncover their potential, prepare for higher education and discover unexplored career paths. Sign up for our email newsletters to keep up-to-date for next year.
Summer 2019 Summer Program
Girls Innovation Academy
June 17- June 28
Bringing Stories to Life: Literary CSI and Computer Animation
Instructors: Jennifer Cahall; Mark Robuck
Boys Innovation Academy
July 8 - July 12
Mix It Up: Career Exploration and Cutting Edge Music Technology
Instructors: Ted Nichols; Kevin Fallon
Girls and Boys Innovation Academy
July 15 - July 19
Make Your Own Magic: Ingenuity and Self-Reliance through YA Literature of Harry Potter, Lord of the Flies & more
Instructors: Mou Chakraborty; Lacey Payne
Girls Innovation Academy
July 29 - August 9
Trailblazers: Adventurer’s Spirit
Instructors: Christy Harper; Bill Burke
Media and Me: An Exploration of Self and How Media and Photography Influences Girls
Instructors: Deb Dickerson; Mehves Lelic; Jean Goblinger; Stacia Kock
The Youth Innovation Academy @ SU is a day program meeting from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. To help with working parents’ schedules, we provide a free optional early drop-off beginning at 7:30 a.m. and late pick-up until 5:30 p.m.
- Increase interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM)
- Encourage students to embrace their leadership
- Enhance technology and communication skills
- Build new relationships and self-confidence
- The summer program is held at Salisbury University, an award-winning “green” campus.
- There are four unique sections during the summer. Two are designed for girls, one for boys, and one for girls and boys together.
- All sections focus on leadership, communication, technology, and innovation.
- Each week, the group travels to off-campus sites to learn about technology in action – including high-tech businesses.
- Academy Instructors are a diverse group including SU faculty and community leaders.
- A typical summer Academy day consists of several modules:
- Strategic leadership training with engaging discussion
- Hands-on innovation studies
- Lunch in the Commons
- Interactive targeted campus tour
- Computer lab activities plus off-campus field trips each week.
Plus off-campus field trips each week.
The registration fee includes buffet lunch in the campus dining hall, materials, and transportation to off-campus site visits.
$450 (2-week sessions, Girls Academy June 17-June 28 and Jul 29- Aug 9)
$225 (1-week session, Boys Academy Jul 8-Jul 12)
(1-week session, Girls and Boys Academy Jul 15-19)