Using the Segal Education Award
Congratulations on earning a Segal Education Award! Below is more information on using your education award, including paying tuition at Salisbury University. Official information from AmeriCorps can be found online.
What is the Segal Education Award?
The Segal Education Award is a financial award for people who complete a year of AmeriCorps service.
- The amount of a full-time Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is equivalent to the maximum value of the Pell Grant for the fiscal year in which the term of national service is approved. The amount of the Pell Grant can change each year. Therefore, the amount of a full-time award can change. Once you earn a Segal Education Award, the dollar amount of that award will not change. The award amount does vary based on the number of hours in your AmeriCorps service term.
- You have up to 7 years to use the award from the date you were exited from AmeriCorps. You can be granted an extension, but you have to meet certain conditions.
- You can use the education award to:
- Repay qualified student loans
- Loans backed by the federal government under Title IV of the Higher Education Act (except PLUS Loans to parents of students)
- Loans under Titles VII or VIII of the Public Service Health Act
- Loans made by a state agency, including state institutions of higher education
- A combination of loans and educational expenses
- Pay current educational expenses at a qualified school
- May include tuition, fees, books, or other educational necessities.
- Eligible schools are higher educational institutions, both domestic and foreign, that currently participate in the Department of Education’s Title IV student aid programs, referred to as "Title IV schools."
- Transfer the award to a child or grandchild
(if you are 55 years of age and older)
- You can not transfer the education award to your personal bank account.
- The VISTA program allows the option to receive a cash stipend instead of the education award. ShoreCorps is NOT a VISTA program and there is no cash stipend option for an education award earned through service with our program.