Accounting & Legal Studies
- Now: Fri Apr 10 12:47:19 EDT 2015
- Today: $today
- Apr 10, 2015 12:47:19 PM
- 4-10-2015 12:47 PM
- April 10, 2015 12:47:19 PM EDT
The Department of Accounting and Legal Studies is responsible for all accounting and law courses which comprise the Bachelor of Science in Accounting degree, the Franklin P. Perdue School M.B.A. Program, the Minor in Accounting and the introductory accounting and law courses required of all management, marketing, finance, and management information systems majors. In addition, a number of students in non-business majors take some of the department's courses as electives as part of their degree programs.
Students, external stakeholders, and peers will recognize us as one of the most innovative providers of professional accounting education on the East Coast. The accounting program in the Franklin P. Perdue School of Business at Salisbury University will reflect the highest standards of accounting education and enable students to bridge the gap between theory and practice through experiential learning and scholarship. Our graduates will be sought after by the leading employers in the profession as well as recognized graduate schools, and they will contribute to the region’s economic vitality.
The mission of the Department of Accounting and Legal Studies at Salisbury University is to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful accounting professionals.
ACHIEVING OUR MISSION AND VISION
We will realize our vision and mission by:
- Providing students with --
- Active recruitment into the program;
- A solid educational foundation in accounting theory and practice, via effective teaching, that will prepare them for successful careers as financial professionals in Certified Public Accounting firms, industry, government, and not-for-profit organizations, as well as for related post-graduate study;
- A learning environment that emphasizes the need to maintain high ethical standards in the discharge of one’s professional responsibilities;
- A unique combination of team-based experiential learning opportunities designed to link accounting theory and practice and facilitate the transition from student to accounting professional;
- A global perspective on accounting issues through both classroom learning and study abroad program offerings; and,
- Placement in the most challenging professional positions for which they are qualified, by developing relationships with public accounting and financial management firms, other firms in private industry, as well as government and not-for-profit organizations, and in co-operation with the Career Services Office of Salisbury University.
- Producing intellectual contributions through a broad mix of contributions to practice, disciplined based, and pedagogical scholarship that can be applied in both professional environments and classroom settings, as well as enhance the requisite skill set of students seeking to become successful accounting professionals. These contributions include inter-disciplinary studies designed to enhance the performance and well-being of students, faculty, and accounting professionals.
- Maintaining close ties, continuous communication and partnering arrangements with members of the external accounting community including individual firms as well as academic and professional organizations as a means of addressing the evolving needs of the profession and enhancing the student learning experience.
The Accounting Program’s Mission Statement embodies the following Shared Values:
- Commitment to teaching excellence
- Commitment to high standards of ethical and professional conduct
- Student centeredness
- Knowledge delivery systems that incorporate, innovative, creative and/or technology based methods that enhance student decision-making skills.
- Faculty development
- Professional and community outreach
- Appreciation for diversity of thought and ideas
- Global focus
- Outcomes assessment and continuous improvement