Eastern Shore Senior Games Scheduled for April 21-22
SALISBURY, MD---Would you like to turn your "Golden Years" into a golden opportunity? The Department of Physical Education at Salisbury State University will conduct the inaugural Eastern Shore Senior Games on April 21 and 22, 2000. This event will provide a menagerie of events with the goal of promoting physical fitness and healthy active living among Maryland seniors.
The April 2000 schedule for the Eastern Shore Senior Games at SSU will offer an array of competitions for all interests: aquatics, archery, badminton, billiards, cycling, golf, handball, horseshoes, racquetball, shuffleboard, softball/football throw, table tennis, track and field, 3 on 3 basketball, line dancing, softball and volleyball are the planned events.
Participation in the Eastern Shore Senior Games is open to Maryland residents 50 years of age or older, with established risk guidelines to aid each competitor for prestigious gold, silver and bronze medals awarded to the top three male and female contestants in each category (50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90-94, 95+). If participant numbers are insufficient, age groups may be combined for competition purposes.
The Eastern Shore Senior Games will serve as a satellite event for the Maryland Senior Olympics and is an affiliated organization with the Maryland Senior Olympics Commission. The Maryland Senior Olympics Commission is conducted by a volunteer leadership team and encourages year-round training for all senior games participants.
An organizing and steering committee has been formed with representatives from SSU, Eastern Shore departments of parks and recreation, the Delmarva YMCAs, county tourism agencies, aging councils and private citizens. The prime sponsors for the Eastern Shore Senior Games is the SSU Foundation with additional support from Conectiv, WBOC-TV, Pepsi, Sea Gull Century and the Wicomico County division of tourism. For further information, contact Dr. Nelson Butler at 410-543-6177 or 410-548-4183.
Eastern Shore Senior Games - Fact Sheet
1) The Eastern Shore Senior Games is open to Maryland residents 50 years of age or older.
2) The Department of Physical Education at Salisbury State University is coordinating the Eastern Shore Senior Games.
3) The event will be held April 21 and 22, 2000.
4) A variety of competitions will be offered for all skill levels and interests, with established risk guidelines and age groups.
5) The Eastern Shore Senior Games serves as a satellite of the Maryland Senior Olympics.
6) Prime sponsor for the Eastern Shore Senior Games is the SSU Foundation, with additional support from Conectiv, WBOC, Pepsi, Sea Gull Century, and the Wicomico County Department of Tourism.