Summer Camp Director/Environmental Educator Position
Date inactive: 6/1/2013
Employer: Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary
Description: Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary seeks a summer camp director to oversee two science day camps (ages 10-13), co-lead a high school camp and assist with education programs. The camp director will work with the Education Coordinator and other staff to plan camp activities, lead camps, work with counselors-in-training, and assist with public programs . 40 hours per week; some weekend and evening hours are required.
Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary is a 1,600 acre nature preserve and ecological field station located on the Patuxent River estuary in Maryland. The Sanctuary is operated by the Anne Arundel County Department of Recreation and Parks. The Sanctuary is also a member of the Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Maryland. A large, healthy freshwater tidal wetland—one of the largest wetlands of this type on the East Coast—is contained within the Sanctuary. Citizen science is a key objective of many Sanctuary programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Works with naturalists in planning sessions to develop field ecology and environmental education experiences for grades K-12, including summer camp.
* Develops instructional materials and activities for use in education programs.
* Leads instructional activities and programs.
* A college degree in environmental science, the biological sciences, or education
* Experience working as an environmental educator or science teacher.
* Knowledge of estuaries, wetlands, and Chesapeake Bay science and natural history, as well as local environmental issues
* Ability to exercise patience, courtesy and tact and use judgment in working with students, teachers, fellow employees, parents, volunteers and the general public.
* Physically fit. Must be able to help launch and paddle canoes, walk several miles, and camp out
* Must have current First Aid and CPR certification. Canoe Safety certification is a plus.
DATES: June 27 – August 9 (Dates somewhat flexible)
NO HOUSING PROVIDED—Candidates must have housing in the Washington/Baltimore/Annapolis area.
The candidate must have a reliable vehicle for commuting to the Sanctuary.
HOW TO APPLY: Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Elaine Friebele, Education Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian, MD 20711
FOR MORE INFORMATION: (410) 741-9330; www.jugbay.org APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until position is filled