OUT for Work Summer 2013 Internship Program. LGBTQ
OUT for Work Summer 2013 Internship Program.
OUT for Work is a nonprofit organization with a mission to educate, prepare, and empower LGBTQ college students for the transition from academia to the workplace. We do this by organizing career conferences, events, and providing tools and resources to college and university students across the country. We also reach out to LGBTQ safe and inclusive companies and organizations and bring them together to help educate and act as resources to prepare students.
What is the OUT for Work internship program?
OUT for Work offers internships to all graduate, undergraduate, as well as recently graduated students covering a variety of disciplines.
Internships are located in the Washington, D.C. office. OUT for Work offers public transportation travel cost reimbursements, however this is not a paid internship. Course credit for the internship is offered depending on the policies of the particular institution the student is attending. The status of a particular internship as credit will be determined before an internship is offered.
Who can apply for OUT for Work internships?
We are looking specifically for individuals to fill two internship positions this summer:
1) Media/ public relations and outreach liaison – this person will focus on communications and press done by OUT for Work through social networking sites. This person will be responsible for maintaining the sites as well as posting articles and information about upcoming events and programs. This person will also keep in touch with our members and followers and do research to find interesting articles to promote, organize press releases about upcoming projects, publications, and events as well as creatively find new ways for OUT for Work to connect with list-servers, databases, and followers.
2) Research & Development Assistant – this person will maintain the up-to-date level of our databases, upload them into our online database system, maintain files and documents, while also assisting in archiving our resources, including websites, links, articles, organizations we are involved with, past conferences and programs, and more. This person will also keep past attendees in touch with OUT for Work, making them feel connected to our programs as well as other projects and assignments as needed.
Successful candidates must have the following skills:
-Knowledge of and commitment to LGBTQ issues.
-Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
-Computer proficiency for word processing, database work, e-mail and Web research.
-Desire and commitment to work in a environment where commitment to diversity based on race, sex, ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and physical ability is an important institutional value.
How do I apply for an OUT for Work Internship?
1. A cover letter stating:
- The approximate dates and times you are available 15-20hrs per week during the upcoming summer.
- Why you would like to work as an OUT for Work intern.
- What you think you can contribute to OUT for Work through your work as an intern.
- Your resume
E mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org before April 30th, 2013
Duration of internship: June 3rd – August 23rd, 2013