Center for International Education


Holloway Hall
Salisbury University - Center for International Education
Immigration Advising

J-1 Visa Status

Common Procedures for Continuing Exchange Visitors


An exchange visitor may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which he or she was admitted to exchange visitor status and if the exchange visitor remains within the same participant category.

Before beginning the transfer process, an exchange visitor should discuss his or her plans with the RO/AROs of both programs, make a definite decision about the transfer, and make sure that all parties involved have agreed on the date of transfer. It may be very difficult to change the date of transfer after the process has been started. This has always been good practice, but program sponsors are also obligated by regulation to work together to ensure a smooth transfer

In order to request a transfer, please complete the appropriate form:

J-1 Transfer-In Form

J-1 Transfer-Out Form