Center for International Education


Holloway Hall
Salisbury University - Center for International Education
Immigration Advising

J-1 Visa Status


I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

For non-immigrants to request extensions of stay or changes from one nonimmigrant category to another nonimmigrant category. Please see the form's instructions for your specific nonimmigrant visa category. It is used by F and M non-immigrants seeking reinstatement of status. It is also used by K-3/4 non-immigrants to request extensions of stay and by persons seeking V nonimmigrant status while in the United States or extension of stay as a V nonimmigrant.  This form can be found at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services page, click on Forms.