Center for International Education


Holloway Hall
Salisbury University - Center for International Education
Immigration Advising

J-1 Visa Status


Student employment

Students may engage in two kinds of employment: (1) academic training related to the course of study, and (2) other employment related to academic funding, on-campus work, or economic necessity. Each kind of employment has its own criteria and limits.

A J-1 college or university student may engage in part-time employment other than academic training when the employment meets certain criteria, and the student meets certain conditions

J student employment can be authorized by the RO/ARO for the following types of employment:
  • Employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship ; or
  • Employment that occurs on the premises of the post-secondary accredited educational institution the visitor is authorized to attend; or
  • Employment that occurs off-campus , which is necessary because of serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since acquiring exchange visitor status.

The RO/ARO must authorize the student employment in advance, before the employment begins. Authorization can be granted in periods of up to 12 months at a time, although sponsors are free to grant authorization for shorter periods.

Students in good standing are eligible for on-campus employment authorization. Employment is limited to 20 hours a week except for official school breaks and the student's annual vacation, when it may be full-time. Like all employment in J-1 student status, on-campus employment must be authorized in advance by the RO/ARO of the program that issued the DS-2019.

The RO or ARO must approve the student employment before it begins. If the student's DS-2019 was issued by a sponsor other than the school (a sponsoring agency), the sponsoring agency's RO/ARO must provide the required employment authorization.

To request employment authorization, please fill out the J-1 Employment Request Form.