How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?
SU Award Notification Guides
Check out SU's Undergraduate and Graduate Notification Guides for more information on financial aid at SU:
Who's My Parent When I Fill Out My FAFSA?
Dependent students are required to report parent information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®). If you’re not sure whether you are a dependent student, go to Student Aid Website.
For reporting purposes, “parent” means your legal (biological or adoptive) parent or stepparent, or a person that the state has determined to be your legal parent. Use this guide to figure out which parent’s information to include (depending on your family situation).
The following people are not your parents unless they have legally adopted you:
- Widowed Stepparent
- Foster Parents
- Legal Guardians
- Older Brothers or Sisters
- Aunts or Uncles
FAFSA Tips & Common Mistakes to Avoid
The best way to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is early, online, and without any mistakes (download and print our checklist of what you'll need to have on hand in order to file your FAFSA). If you aren't yet ready to file a FAFSA, the Department of Education's FAFSA4caster tool can help you estimate your eligibility for federal student aid by providing some basic information. Check these helpful tips and tricks!
I Filled Out The FAFSA, What Happens Next?
- Fall 2020/Spring 2021 - The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for students attending college in 2020-2021 (Fall 2020/Spring 2021) will be available beginning on October 1, 2019
- Fall 2019/Spring 2020 - The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for students attending college in 2019-2020 (Fall 2019/Spring 2020) is available now.
What Does SU's Financial Aid Timeline Look Like?
- October 1 - The first step
- December 1 - Check out SU's Academic Works
- Mid-February - Incoming students receive packets
- March 1 - This is the last day to submit your FAFSA
- May 1 - SU's deposit deadline
- Mid-June - Freshman orientation
- Mid-July - Fall semester bills distributed
- August - Start your academic journey