CARES Emergency Student Grant
Members of the SU Community:
In March, Congress passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which included funding to assist students through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund. SU has been granted a pool of CARES Act Emergency Grant funds to provide emergency financial aid grants to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus.
The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office has identified approximately 4,000 students meeting federal eligibility criteria to receive immediate CARES Act assistance based on enrollment, U.S. citizenship, satisfactory academic progress and level of need as determined by their current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information. These students each will receive a credit of $450 or $550 to provide reimbursement for travel and technology expenses they may have incurred as residence halls were closed and SU classes moved online earlier this semester. Funding should appear in students’ accounts by Friday, May 15.
Additional CARES Act funding has been allocated for SU emergency aid applications. Students meeting enrollment, U.S. citizenship and satisfactory academic progress requirements who are Title IV eligible and have incurred an economic hardship or expenses due to the disruption of campus activities directly related to COVID-19 may apply for reimbursement through this fund.
While federal restrictions do not permit the use of CARES Act funding for those not identified as U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, non-degree students or online-only students, SU provides a resource for individuals in those categories through the Student Emergency Fund. Current students struggling to attend SU due to COVID-19-related expenses or other essential needs, including those who do not meet CARES Act eligibility, are encouraged to apply for assistance at the SU Emergency Fund Website.
For more information about the CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief fund, visit the U.S. Department of Education CARES Act Website. For more information on SU’s CARES Act funding, please email email@example.com.
CARES Emergency Student Grant – FAQs
- What is the CARES Emergency Student Grant?
- What types of expenses qualify to be covered by CARES Emergency Student Grant?
- Can the CARES Emergency Student Grant be used to satisfy an account balance at SU?
- How do I qualify for the CARES Emergency Student Grant?
- How is Salisbury University awarding the CARES Emergency Student Grant funding?
- How is CARES Emergency Student Grant funding disbursed?
- Are there any categories of students who are ineligible to apply for CARES Emergency Student Grant funding?
- What is the application deadline for CARES Emergency Student Grant funding?
- What is the amount of the CARES Emergency Student Grant?
- When will decisions be made about CARES Emergency Student Grant recipients?
- Is CARES Emergency Student Grant funding taxable?
- What if I am ineligible, or apply but do not receive a CARES Emergency Student Grant , but still have financial need?
- Who can I contact if I have other questions about the CARES Emergency Student Grant?