Requesting Housing/ Assistance Animal Accommodations
The Disability Resource Center (DRC) determines reasonable accommodations for campus housing, including dining and assistance animals’ accommodations. Students with disabilities who have specific needs related to housing must register with the DRC to request housing accommodations. As with all accommodation requests, we engage with students in an individualized process to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations.
The housing accommodation request process is separate from academic accommodations.
Assistance Animals (AA)
According to the Fair Housing Act (FHA), Assistance animals “provide support to individuals with disabilities who have a disability-related need for such support. In order to qualify for an ESA as an accommodation, the animal "must be necessary to afford the individual an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling and/or to participate in the housing service or program.
Are trained to perform a specific task to assist a person with a disability are not required to be registered with the University, and do not require accommodation approval through the DRC. Some students voluntarily choose to register their service animal through the DRC or Campus Housing & Residence Life, so that Facilities is aware of the presence of an animal if routine or emergency entry is needed. Students with questions about services animals should contact the DRC as soon as possible.
Housing and Assistance Animals, How to Request Housing/Dining/AA Accommodations
- Apply through the general admission process, be accepted, and commit to Salisbury University by submitting your deposit. (does not apply to current students)
- Complete and submit the DRC Housing/Dining/AA Student Application.
- Submit documentation of disability. Students are strongly encouraged to upload their documentation while completing their DRC Student Application. Documentation of disability must adhere to the DRC Documentation Criteria. Providers may also complete the appropriate verification form (in lieu of a letter), if desired.
Documentation Verification Forms
- Reasonable Accommodation Verification Form for HRL Accomms
- Reasonable Accommodation Verification Form for an Assistance Animal
Once submitted, the DRC Director will thoroughly evaluate the request. When evaluating requests factors such as the likely impact on academic performance, student’s level of comfort, timing of the request, and feasibility are all considered. After review, students will be notified via email of the status of their requests.