Salisbury University students on campus

Referring Others

Students face challenges often seek help from those in their support system. This often includes faculty, staff, parents, and friends. Due to this, it is imperative that you are able to recognize signs of distress, know the parameters of your role, and effectively refer students to appropriate mental health resources when needed. This is increasingly important, as research has repeatedly shown more severe mental health problems manifesting among students than in the past. Below you can find useful information to help you appropriately refer students so they can receive the help they need.

It is strongly recommended that all SU faculty, staff, and students complete Kognito At-Risk training to ensure that you are equip to effectively refer students. Completing the training that corresponds with your role will not only help those around you, but could save lives, as increasingly high percentages of students report seriously considering suicide. To learn more and start your free interactive training, visit our Kognito webpage.

The Purple Folder is another helpful resource for faculty and staff. This document outlines resources, warning signs, how to intervene, and where to refer. Download a digital copy in PDF format.

Concern for Student Safety

If a student is in immediate danger call 911 or University Police at 410-543-6222. For other 24/7 crisis options visit our Crisis Resources webpage.

For non-emergency concerns including, but not limited to, reporting information related to students of concern, medical withdrawal requests, absence notifications and emergency grant fund applications make a report to the SU CARE Team by creating an Online CARE Report . This form will be reviewed by SU Cares/Case Management and the SU CARE Team (Behavioral Intervention Team) during normal business hours.

Determining Where To Refer

There are many reasons why you may talk to a student about the Counseling Center. When doing so, it is important to remember that the Center is here to help students with their mental health concerns. If they are struggling with academics, need accommodations for a disability, are being disruptive or inappropriate in class, or are having other related issues, they may benefit from a referral to another office on campus. Read through the Know How to Get Help information sheet to learn more about who to contact during a mental health emergency. To learn more about the Counseling Center’s services, you can visit our Services web page.

When and How to Refer

Confidentiality Statement

All client contacts and information obtained in the course of treatment is confidential. No information will be released without written authorization from the client, except in the rare cases of imminent danger or as required by law when there is a suspicion of child abuse, elder abuse or a court order.