Submission Process & Meeting Dates
The Committee requires 15 business, non-holiday days to review and respond to Exempt or Expedited protocols. As such, these protocols need to be submitted at least three weeks prior to the planned start of the research in order to leave time for comments and revisions, if necessary.
Full Committee reviews require submission at least 15 business, non-holiday days prior to the scheduled IRB meeting date. All listed researchers are required to attend the IRB meeting for full reviews. Researchers who need to follow a modified timeline should contact the IRB Committee Chair to discuss this.
For full committee protocols, we will follow the submission and review schedule as outlined here:
Meeting date: February 28th
Submissions received by February 7th
Meeting Date: March 28th
Submissions received by March 7th
Meeting Date: April 25th
Submissions received by April 4th
Meeting date: May 16th
Submissions received by April 25th
Steps to Submission, Review and Approval
The IRB reviews all proposals for human subjects' research before the research is conducted to ensure that the research plan adequately protects human subjects.
- Determine if your research requires IRB review. Not all research requires review and approval from the IRB. Your research must meet the definition of Human Subjects Research. Please use the IRB approval flowchart to assist with your decision-making.
- Review the submission and review deadlines to ensure your research timeline aligns with the IRB approval process.
- If you are a student investigator, find a faculty advisor who will oversee and mentor you through your research. Students cannot submit IRB protocols without a faculty member serving as the principal investigator.
- Complete CITI Human Subjects Training. Please note that all investigators who are directly involved with human subjects and data collection/analysis must complete training. Protocol approval is contingent upon the IRB’s receipt of all researchers’ certificates of completion. Salisbury University will accept other human subject research trainings (ie. National Institute of Health Training), but training confirmation and certificates must be provided for review.
- Complete your application, attach all supporting documents, necessary signatures, CITI certificates, and submit electronically to email@example.com. To access the IRB application and templates, please visit the forms and templates page.
Summer & Winter Term Review Schedule
The IRB accepts and reviews protocols throughout the winter and summer term; however, there may be delays in the standard three-week review process due to limited availability of reviewers. Full committee reviews are scheduled on an as needed basis, pending the availability of member quorum. Requests for full committee reviews during these terms should be made in advance to the IRB Committee Chairs.