Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition
The goal of the Annual Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition is to promote and support mathematics in the secondary education community of the Lower- and Mid-Eastern Shore counties of Delmarva.
- The event provides a fun and challenging mathematics competition focused on both individual and cooperative achievement. Each participating school may enter a team of up to three students in the competition.
- The team round presents each school's team with challenging, open-ended problems. To solve these problems, the team members are encouraged to work together. Each team is to provide complete solutions to as many problems as possible, including justification of all steps and clear, concise explanations. The use of calculators is permitted during the team round. It is the responsibility of each team to provide calculators for their team.
- The individual round has each student, working independently, answer twenty multiple choice questions. Winners are chosen based on the number of questions answered correctly; there is no penalty for incorrect answers. The use of calculators is not permitted during the individual round.
- Subject areas covered by contest questions include: algebra, geometry, functions and functional notation, exponents and logarithms, trigonometry, probability and statistics, logic and set theory, arithmetic sequences, geometric series, and number theory.
- Awards are presented to the three students with the highest scores in the individual round of the contest and to the three teams with the highest scores in the team round.
The 35th Annual Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition took place on Thursday, November 8, 2018 and was sponsored by The Klein G. and Mary Lee Leister Foundation and Delmarva Power, An Exelon Company.
- 1st Place: Worcester Preparatory School
Team: Matt Durkin, Max Huber, Eli Prushansky
Coach: Linda Bragg
- 2nd Place: Colonel Richardson High School
Team: Sam Arnold, Thomas Cheezum, Ian Leverage
Coach: Kevin Corwin
- 3rd Place: James M. Bennett High School
Team: Marvin Li, Alexander Patterson, Michael Avanessian
Coach: Rachel Ludke-Jones
- 1st Place: Marvin Li, James M. Bennett High School
- 2nd Place: Matt Durkin, Worcester Preparatory School
- 3rd Place: Grayson Wolf, Stephen Decatur High School