Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition
The goal of the Annual Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition is to promote and support mathematics in the secondary education community of the Lower- and Mid-Eastern Shore counties of Delmarva.
- The event provides a fun and challenging mathematics competition focused on both individual and cooperative achievement. Each participating school may enter a team of up to three students in the competition.
- The team round presents each school's team with challenging, open-ended problems. To solve these problems, the team members are encouraged to work together. Each team is to provide complete solutions to as many problems as possible, including justification of all steps and clear, concise explanations. The use of calculators is permitted during the team round. It is the responsibility of each team to provide calculators for their team.
- The individual round has each student, working independently, answer twenty multiple choice questions. Winners are chosen based on the number of questions answered correctly; there is no penalty for incorrect answers. The use of calculators is not permitted during the individual round.
- Subject areas covered by contest questions include: algebra, geometry, functions and functional notation, exponents and logarithms, trigonometry, probability and statistics, logic and set theory, arithmetic sequences, geometric series, and number theory.
- Awards are presented to the three students with the highest scores in the individual round of the contest and to the three teams with the highest scores in the team round.
The 34th Annual Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition took place on Thursday, November 9, 2017 and was sponsored by The Klein G. and Mary Lee Leister Foundation and Delmarva Power, An Exelon Company.
- 1st Place: Cape Henlopen High School
Team: Emma Ballentine, Trevor Simmons, Megha Patel
Coach: Ms. Robin Corrozi
- 2nd Place: Salisbury Christian School
Team: Olivia Kane, Pritika Papali, Nathan Spicer-Davis
Coach: Mr. Jim Caverly
- 3rd Place: Seaford Senior High School
Team: Ged Pearson, Jorge Mendez, Caelan Backus
Coach: Mr. Rony Flechier
- 1st Place: Marvin Li, James M. Bennett High School
- 2nd Place: Nathan Spicer-Davis, Salisbury Christian School
- 3rd Place: Andrew Duck, Parkside High School