Social Work Resources and Policies

Social Work's Canvas Student Orientation:

The School of Social Work's Website:

Writing Center Resources

At the University Writing Center (UWC), trained peer consultants are available to work with students at any stage of the writing process. Located on the second floor of the Guerrieri Academic Commons, the UWC offers a place where writers can meet to talk about their papers and projects. In addition to the important writing instruction that occurs in the classroom and during office hours, students are also encouraged to make use of this important service. For more information and to make appointments, visit the UWC’s website.

Writing is a critical component of what we do as social workers. Without being able to write effectively, it is difficult to advocate for our clients, keep useful case notes, and (in the case of your education) do well in school. With that in mind, we have compiled a list of resources you may find helpful:

Social Work Writing Resources Web Page

Social Work Library Resources

To access the Blackwell Library guides for Social Work or chat live with a librarian go to:

To access the Library home page go to:


The Social Work Department is utilizing Turnitin Originality Check plagiarism prevention service through MyClasses. The plagiarism prevention service provides a systematic approach to detecting plagiarism, especially the "cut and paste" method, by detecting unoriginal content. Through the electronic submission of papers, the service will generate an originality report comparing the paper with Internet resources, the academic scholarly databases of journal articles and periodicals as well as work submitted by other students across the country. In addition to acting as a plagiarism deterrent, it also has features designed to aid in educating students about plagiarism and importance of proper attribution of any borrowed content.

Handbooks & Resources

SU-UMUC Europe Students:

  • Disability Information: For more information about student accommodations and services related to a disability, students may contact the University of Maryland Office of Student Services. CIV: 49 (o) 631 53480264 or Email:

Departmental Policies

Any student registered for a Salisbury University course will be expected to meet and abide by the School of Social Work’s Technical Standards for Admission, Academic Matriculation and Graduation. For more information on the specifics of these standards please go to the following link: Tech Standards (PDF)

Course Policies which include attendance policies, paper formatting, mandated reporting, academic integrity, disability resources and professional performance guidelines can be found at: Departmental Policies (PDF)

Inclement Weather Policy

Should inclement weather result in classes being canceled information will be given to all local radio and television stations. Students can receive information concerning cancellations by listening to local stations or by calling the Gull Line at (410) 546-6426. The institutional policy with regard to closing is that unless there are the most dire circumstances the institution will remain open for business. Students must exercise their best judgment about whether they attend class. Different conditions prevail for each individual under inclement weather situations so the decision should be essentially an independent one. If you do not hear an announcement about cancellation of classes, then classes and events will be held as scheduled. Please do not call the University Police Office about cancellation notices so that office can assist with emergency needs.

Drop or Withdrawal From a Class Policy

Students receiving financial aid should contact the Financial Aid office before dropping or withdrawing to fully understand the impact on their current and future aid. You can officially drop or withdraw from a course by accessing the GullNet. Students who officially drop from a course within the stated drop period will not have the course posted on unofficial or official transcripts. Dropped courses do not count as attempted credit. After the drop period has ended, students may officially withdraw from a course up to the published timeframe. Information regarding this period can be obtained in the Registrar's Office. The academic consequences from this action include receiving the grade of "W" for the course, which will appear on unofficial and official transcripts. A grade of "W" will not impact your GPA and does not count as completed credit toward your degree.

Students are responsible for dropping or withdrawing themselves. Failure to drop or withdraw in the required manner may have adverse impacts on financial aid and/or the academic grade for the course(s). If you have any additional questions concerning withdrawing or dropping a course(s), please contact the Financial Aid Office.