Skip to Main Content
Salisbury University BW
A Maryland University of National Distinction
navigation icon opens header SALISBURY UNIVERSITY

Counseling Center
navigation icon opens menu

Counseling Center


Frequently Asked Questions


What do I do in case of an emergency?

Students in crisis during office hours may be seen on a walk-in basis.  Calling ahead to notify counseling staff will expedite getting in to see a counselor.  After hours, students can call the University Police at 410-543-6222, the Life Crisis Center in Salisbury at 410-749-4357, or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, or go to the nearest emergency room, Peninsula Regional Medical Center located at 100 East Carroll Street, Salisbury.


What services do you offer?

Individual and group therapy are offered to assist students in dealing with a variety of psychological concerns including depression, relationship concerns, anxiety, eating disorders, identity confusion, loss, and family concerns, among other things.  Other services include crisis intervention, consultation, workshops and educational programs, outreach initiatives, and online resources.


Where is your office located?

The Counseling Center is located on the second floor of Guerrieri University Center, room 263 at Salisbury University.  Contact the office for directions.       


How are Disability Services and the Counseling Center related?

Because both service areas are overseen by the Director of Counseling and share administrative assistant staff, they have a common lobby, where students can schedule appointments, complete intake paperwork, and check in for scheduled sessions with staff in either office.  In addition, for students who receive particular disability-related testing accommodations, administrative assistant staff from both areas assist with providing such accommodations in the Counseling Center.


What are the hours of operation?

The Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Summer hours are 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM.


Are there any costs for services?

There are no fees for therapy services.  There are fees for registering for Alcohol Education Programs, when they have been mandated for any reason and not taken solely on a volunteer basis by students.


How do I schedule an appointment?

To schedule an intake session, either call the Counseling Center at 410-543-6070 or stop by the Counseling Center, GUC, room 263.  The student and counselor will determine subsequent meeting times at the end of the initial session.


How do I get help for someone else?

While the choice to seek counseling is an individual decision, the Counseling Center staff can provide consultations to family, friends, and others who may be concerned about the mental health and behaviors of a student.  Consultations are available by phone and appointment. (referring others)


May friends or family schedule an appointment for someone other than themselves?

Students seeking counseling services must schedule their own appointments.


How do students seek medication?

There is not a psychiatrist available at Salisbury University. There are a number of psychiatrists in the community to whom students can be referred. In Student Health Services, there are several nurse practitioners who can prescribe and monitor medications in coordination with the Counseling Center. There is a $5 visit fee for these visits at Student Health Services. It is most often the case that the referral to the nurse practitioner comes from the Counseling Center staff. Continued counseling is typically recommended for students who are taking medications for psychiatric conditions.


May parents/concerned others be notified of student's appointments and other treatment services?

All client contacts and information obtained in the course of treatment is confidential.  No information will be released without prior written authorization from the client, except in the rare cases of imminent danger or as required by law when there is a suspicion of child abuse, elder abuse or a court order.  While information is not released outside of the Counseling Center without written permission, staff may consult with each other in order to improve the quality of services.


Is group therapy offered?

Yes, group is often the preferred mode of counseling with students because it allows them to share similar concerns and feel supported by others in a safe environment and at the same time learn effective communication and enhance interpersonal relationships. [group therapy]


What if a student knows someone who works in the Counseling Center?

Students are encouraged to discuss concerns they have related to their knowing or being affiliated with any staff/intern so that they can work with a different therapist.


Do your alcohol programs meets requirements for mandated treatment by court systems?

Due to their relatively short duration, the Center’s alcohol programs typically do not meet the number of treatment hours courts most often mandate.  The Counseling Center recommends that students who have been mandated by the courts to receive alcohol interventions discuss the specifics of our Alcohol Education Programs with the courts.


How do students know where to go for help -- the Center for Student Achievement, Disability Support Services, or the Counseling Center?

Problems related to these service areas are often interrelated.  However, when a student’s concerns are primarily academic (test performance, assignment completion, note-taking problems, etc.), they should make their initial appointment with the Center for Student Achievement.  If a student’s concerns are primarily related to a disability (problems related to accessing the educational environment, requesting accommodations, etc.) they should initially schedule an appointment with Disability Support Services.  If a student’s concerns are primarily personal or interpersonal (relationship difficulties, depression, anxiety, disordered eating, related to sexual orientation, coping with a loss or trauma, or adjusting to life phases, etc.) their initial appointment should be scheduled with the Counseling Center.  Because staff in these offices are aware that students often have interrelated needs, they can collaborate with the student to decide together whether the student could benefit from referrals to multiple offices.


If I tell someone in the Counseling Center that I have been sexually assaulted, will they report it?

No.  Unlike all other areas of SU’s campus, the Counseling Center and Student Health Services staff are not mandated to report incidents of sexual assault to anyone outside of their office and maintain client confidentiality as with other information. 


What are the qualifications of the staff?

 All staff have an interest in, and commitment to, working with college students. More details about clinical staff credentials and professional backgrounds can be found on the website link Meet the StaffThe Counseling Center staff currently includes a psychologist, social workers, counselors, and graduate interns.

* * *
Need help or have questions about this page? Please visit our Ask a Question or Report a Problem page.
Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000