Skip to Main Content
Salisbury University BW
A Maryland University of National Distinction
navigation icon opens header SALISBURY UNIVERSITY

Department of Early and Elementary Ed.
navigation icon opens menu

Transfer Information

AAT Quick Links

General Transfer Policies: Transfer Credits

The Office of Admissions admits students from regionally accredited collegiate institutions with requirements similar to those of SU. Here are a few items to keep in mind as a transfer student.

  • Grades do not transfer; the GPA for a transfer student is only computed on the basis of coursework completed at SU.
  • A maximum 64 credits can transfer in from a community college.
  • A maximum of 90 credits can transfer in from any accredited 4-year college or university.
  • Students must earn at least 30 of their final 37 credit hours from SU.
  • In order for transfer courses to qualify for upper-level credit (300/400 level) at SU, they must be taught at the upper level both at SU and at the sending institution; in other words, no courses from community colleges can transfer in as 300/400 level courses.

Request to Study at Another Institution

Current SU students wishing to study at another institution need to complete the Request to Study at Another Institution form. The form is available in the Registrar's Office (HH 120) or can be downloaded from the Registrar's website. The form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office PRIOR to enrolling in a course at another institution.

Course descriptions may be required for some courses. If the student is taking the course at a Maryland Community College they may find out how the course will transfer to SU through ARTSYS at the following website: Although, this information is posted online students should still complete the Request to Study at Another Institution Form. Students should carefully follow all instructions on the form in order to gain approval to take the courses. Official transcripts are required upon completion of any courses taken at another institution and should be sent to the Registrar's Office.

A student may take courses at another institution at any time during his or her undergraduate career at SU, but there is a residency policy that requires that at least 30 of the last 37 credits that count toward the degree be taken at SU. The timing of posting transfer credits can negatively affect this residency rule in the student’s degree audit report; that is why it is important that students have official transcripts sent to SU as soon as they complete any coursework taken at another institution.

Students are limited to the total number of credits that can transfer from another institution. A total number of sixty-four credits can transfer from a two-year institution and a combined total of ninety credits can transfer from a four-year institution.

Need help or have questions about this page? Please visit our Ask a Question or Report a Problem page.
Salisbury University 1101 Camden Avenue Salisbury, MD 21801 410-543-6000