- Now: Thu Sep 03 15:14:07 EDT 2015
- Today: $today
- Sep 3, 2015 3:14:07 PM
- 9-03-2015 03:14 PM
- September 3, 2015 3:14:07 PM EDT
Enable: $enabledate, Expire: $expiredate
- SU won the 2009 PLANT Green Award, the highest sustainability award given by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service and Forestry Council.
- SU's recycling program began in 1990 through the Horticulture Department.
- New benches are made from recycled materials including plastic lumber made from recycled bottles.
- In the greenhouse and interior spaces, liquid dish soap and water are used instead of harsh chemicals to remove insects.
- Students weed planting beds manually to reduce the use of weed killer.
- Mulching blades are used on SU lawnmowers to reduce waste and add nutrients back into the soil from grass and leaves.
- Leaves from plant beds, branches, and plant trimmings are collected and sent to a local company which uses them to prepare mulch for commercial sale.
- Landscaping is irrigated only when absolutely necessary to maintain the health of the landscaping stock.
- Landscaping is irrigated with non-potable groundwater and the annual number of gallons of irrigation water has declined significantly in recent years.
- Greenhouse staff wash and reuse pots and bedding trays instead of discarding.
- Campus trash containers are paired with recycling receptacles so users have a choice.
- Bicycle racks are incorporated into campus design projects to promote an alternative to driving.